Tuesday, March 04, 2008

The Winter That Will Not End


Do you see this? Do you see the white white clouds? That's the next storm heading our way. Ice. We haven't had our annual ice storm yet, but it's March, people. March. The month of spring.

Lucky for me, I'm heading to Florida this weekend. Unlucky for me, I'll only be gone for 2 nights. Just enough time to get some serious shopping in. And Lola is coming with me. Next week is Spring Break (that's an oxymoron, isn't it), so the boys are heading down to the Compound to visit with the Grandparents.

Except I messed up on the tickets...shocked, aren't you...it was just after New Year's and Fil kept hounding me to book the tickets for the boys. Hounding me. Every conversation started with, "Have you looked at tickets yet..." There is no way I'm letting my 3 boys fly alone...they are boys...they are siblings...it's not a good combination. So I decided to fly with them, stay to do some shopping and fly home. Thumbelina is not a citizen of the Great White North yet (she almost is), so she will be staying home with Mr. Happy. Which is partially why I'm only going to be gone for 2 nights.

So I booked 4 round-trip tickets, thinking I'd just give my return ticket to Fil; Mr. Happy was able to find me a direct flight landing closer to home on Saturday...except after I booked them, the confirmation said that the tickets were not transferrable. I'm not sure why that little juicy tidbit didn't pop up on the screen before I booked them...so I had to book another ticket for Fil. And cancel my return ticket. But I do have a credit with the airline which is good until next January.

And then I realized that Zoomer can't possibly leave this Thursday with the rest of us, because he will be away with his school competing in the annual school convention. Mr. Happy and I decided that Zoomer would be fine travelling as an unaccompanied minor, so I called the airline...again...and had Zoomer's ticket changed to Sunday.

In the meantime, Lola half-jokingly asked if she could come along. It worked out that there were seats available on the same flights, so she's coming!

But I still need to call the airline because they sent out an e-mail saying the time of our flights has been changed, and I accepted the new time, but then they sent out a second notice. It would be our luck that they don't have any tickets for us and we'll end up having to walk to Florida or something.

Regardless, I will be escaping winter for 36 hours. And if it is cold and snowy anywhere but Florida, I will be laughing at you.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Technically, I would not call Spring Break an oxymoron. An oxymoron would be two conjoined terms that are contraditory.

For example, "Deafening Silence" or "Pretty Ugly", or "Jumbo Shrimp", or, and I really like this one "Head Butt". I think we all know what you meant though.

Glad I could help

Hope you have an "awful nice" time at the compound.

Anonymous said...

Smart Melvin=definite oxyMORON!!!

jb

Middle-Aged Moi said...

You wouldn't laugh at us, would ya? It's just NOT fair that you get to go somewhere warm. Not right. Sigh. :-)

Anonymous said...

Have a great trip!

Anonymous said...

Have a great trip!

D & S said...

You know, it's been pretty nice here in Evil Alberta. There's about 1/2 cm of snow and whatever's fallen has melted very quickly. Not missing that weather at all.