Thursday, August 28, 2008

Barnyard Ramblings

So I have this coffee mug. With my name on it. And I thought I would take it to the barn because whenever I go to make myself a cup of coffee, there are never any clean mugs available. And me, being all innocent and naive-like, honestly thought that the people at the barn wouldn't touch a coffee mug that says JAJ, especially since I'm the only JAJ that works there. At the barn.

Oh how wrong I was, dear readership.

Today when I went to the barn, I was really in the mood for a cup of coffee. And so I went in search of my JAJ mug. And it was nowhere to be found. Suspicious. Maybe there is a coffee mug thief, I thought. So when a bunch of the crew came up to the kitchen for their break, I went and asked, to no one in particular, "Has anybody seen a mug with JAJ on it?"

Says the guy who is bi-polar: Oh, yeah, it broke about two weeks.

Me: It broke?? My mug broke??

BPG (Bi-Polar Guy): Yeah, like two weeks ago. But it wasn't me.

Me: And when was somebody going to tell me it broke?

BPG: When you asked about it.

Meanwhile in the background, the guy who two weeks ago told me I look much more beautiful in the barn, kept saying, It broke? Such a shame. For today's story, let's refer to him as Guy Who Needs Glasses, or GWNG for short.

BPG: It was that Hershey's one right? I guess I'll have to get you a new one.

Me: You'll have to get it from Pennsylvania because it came from Hershey's Chocolate World.

Such a shame it broke, mumbles GWNG.

GWNG: How long have you had it?

Me: I got it when I was 12 years old.

GWNG: 12 years old! Such a shame.

Me: I dog-sat a family's dog, and they brought me back the mug.

GWNG: Such a shame. 12 years old.

BPG: 12 years old, that must have been what - 8 years ago?

GWNG: 12 years old. Such a shame.

Me: You're right! It was 8 years ago.

GWNG: Such a shame.

How can I stay mad at BPG when he so sensitively guessed my age? So I guess that only means one thing - ROAD TRIP - to get a new coffee mug, of course.

And yah, by the GWNG kept mumbling such a shame, I'm guessing he knows who broke my mug and was trying to guilt the guilty party into buying me a new one, or else he's the guilty party and was just trying to throw suspicion off of himself.

6 comments:

Middle-Aged Moi said...

Oh dear! That's such a shame. ;-)

Anonymous said...

Call me crazy, but I think it is weird that you got a mug when you were 12 years old with the initials that you had "after" you got married.

If you did indeed get this as a gift when you were 12, I believe the correct initials on it would have been JAM (not JAJ). I also think that the mug may have been shaped more like a jar. Furthermore, upon closer inspection of the jar, I think you would find the words "strawberry" or "raspberry" prior to these initials.

The real crime is not in the breaking of an old empty jar of jam, but in the fact that you dog sat for someone who paid you with an empty jar that they were about to throw away anyways and convinced you that it was personalized with your initials.

I understand that 12 year olds can be gullible, but come on!

Let me save you a road trip. Go to your local grocery store and you will see lots of these "mugs". All of them will be filled with delightful spreads you can use on bread.

Of course, you will have to convince yourself once again that the initials are really JAJ, but I know you can do it!

Anonymous said...

Wow. Sounds like the mystery of the mug mishap (m.m.m.) has been solved.

In the end it was just jam (mmm)

See what I did with the m's?

Thumbelina's Mom said...

The real crime is not in the breaking of an old empty jar of jam, but in the fact that you dog sat for someone who paid you with an empty jar that they were about to throw away anyways and convinced you that it was personalized with your initials.


AB - you do know that it was your family that I dog-sat for, right??

Anonymous said...

Thanks for bringing that to my attention. Now that I think about it, I do remember going to Hershey Pennsylvania, and I recall a mug filled with all sorts of tasty chocolates. I know they were tasty because I ate them all. I guess you ended up with the empty mug. Can't believe you broke it - That's a shame really.

Priscilla said...

Cute!

(Can you believe she ate all the chocolates? Seriously!)

Road trip sound awesome. Camping again?