Monday, June 11, 2007

Answers

My head is swimming; I don't even know where to start.

When last you left our heroine (that's me), she was crabby crabby. You remember the note I wrote to Shaggy's teacher? She requested a meeting with us on the last day of school. Husband wasn't too thrilled with me. I believe his exact words were You know, we're probably the only people in the world to meet with the teacher on the last day of school. Whatever. Let me back up and refresh your memory, in case you didn't read crabby crabby. I wrote a note to his teacher (Shaggy's, not Husband's) asking for an explanation as to why he got such a low grade in computers on his report card. And last Wednesday's note was the 4th such note, except this one, although I didn't mean it to sound sarcastic, sounded quite sarcastic. Turns out that Shaggy was throwing the notes away before the teacher even had a chance to read them. How do I know? Because I found a crumpled one in his backpack. Ugh. So at the meeting I apologized right away.

To make a very long story shorter and much more enjoyable to read, I told her all the grievances I had against her and she told me all the grievances she had against me. She thought I didn't care about Shaggy's academics and was so angry at me that she couldn't even look at me. For six months. And if I didn't care, then why should she. So that's really what all this squabbling and snottiness back and forth boiled down to. And in reality, nothing could be further from the truth. At the meeting in December that the teacher was referring to, I was upset and refused to cry, because at another meeting, I did cry, and she had such a look of satisfaction on her face, so in December I didn't want to give her the satisfaction and sat very rigidly and didn't talk very much. I hate it when people see me cry. Hate it. So this whole situation was a big, giant misunderstanding. And one where Shaggy ultimately paid the price. And yes, we are friends again, but with a bit of caution on my part. Because I'm not a very trusting peron by nature, and I usually think that most people have a hidden agenda. But not you, of course.

Which brings us to today. Today was Shaggy's assessment. And guess what! Go on, guess! He does have dyslexia. I knew it. Let this be a lesson to you ~ always trust you gut instinct. If Shaggy is wanting to, we will start the Davis Program, but it is completely up to him, because even though Husband and I want to move forward with this, if Shag isn't willing, then it won't work. So far he's wanting to do it.

I'm happy and anxious at the same time. Happy because I knew he was dyslexic; anxious because a part of me thinks What if this doesn't work either. We've been to the naturopath, who promised it was all diet related, but even changing his diet didn't fix it. It did, however, bring to our attention foods that trigger negative behaviors in him, and I'm glad we investigated that route, because we know what foods to keep him away from. We've also tried Hooked on Phonics with dismal results. We didn't even get past the first level. It was disheartening. I was told today that Hooked on Phonics won't work for most dyslexics because phonics isn't the way they can learn to read. It's too confusing to them. I also took him, a couple of years ago, to see a doctor for an assessment, or so I thought. The doctor gave him a list of words to read, which he did, and the doctor said to me, He's not dyslexic. Let's see if he's ADD and put him on Ritalin. I said no, the doctor said he couldn't help me, and that was that.

So Shaggy came away from the assessment pretty happy. And that's my day. My boy is happy and I'm happy.

My happy boy all ready for Jr. Band in September:




My happy girl:

1 comment:

Middle-Aged Moi said...

I"m so glad you got things worked out with the teacher. And I'm glad they got Shaggy's dyslexia diagnosed. My Uncle Matt has it and he is now a successful geologist, so, there's TONS of hope! Hooray that now you can start working on things....going in the right direction!