Sunday, September 16, 2007

I think My Head is Going to Explode

Because my ears are bleeding and I've already pulled all my hair out. And my eyeballs.

It is Grade 3 Recorder time. And my kid. I have never seen anybody in my whole life as uncoordinated as he is when it comes to playing the recorder. Ever. The poor child can't even hold it in one hand without disaster. And I'm trying so hard not to let him see my frustration.

His little fingers can't cover the holes, so imagine a monotone squeaky sound. And when I say G, A, B, he plays (or attempts to play) B, A, G. So I say It's like you're on a ladder and you need to go up, he goes down. And then I say, Now you need to go down, then he goes up. And then as I'm trying not to pull out my hair, he says to me, Are you crying? No, son, I'm not, it's just my tear ducts emptying because I've pulled my eyeballs out.

Meanwhile, the baby is screaming because she's overtired, but she can't get to sleep because the 10-year-old has the 13-year-old in a headlock and the 13-year-old is calling me like a little girl.

It's going to be a long year.

10 comments:

Middle-Aged Moi said...

Oh, YUCK!!!! We haven't done the recorder here, sticking to piano. I.DO.NOT.ENVY. YOU.

Anonymous said...

I think that is great. I have been playing the recorder for close to 15 years now. I just love it. I can almost do "Merry had little lamb".

That is my favourite song because it reminds me of you. Sometimes you are Merry and when you are not, you quite often have a lamb.

Oh well, if I can impart some of my wisdom ... Practice is the second most important thing to remember. The first most important thing to remember is which end to blow in. But that's a whole nother story.

Anonymous said...

Melvin, I don't think she was asking for your "wisdon", and it's Mary had a little lamb, not Merry had a little lamb.

Anonymous said...

AB - why don't you shut up! You don't know!

Thumbelina's Mom said...

Slow day today?

Anonymous said...

Don't worry, jaj...I will try and talk to him. The whole thing is starting to worry me.

Anonymous said...

Are you absolutely sure, Melvin?

I thought it was Barry had a little Cam!

D & S said...

I remember the recorder, use to drive my mother crazy. As a kid I didn't understand why, as an adult I now do.

Anonymous said...

Oh Melvinette, you are a crazy one!

Anonymous said...

ROFL, I feel your pain... my Grade 4 boy has just started playing the recorder... oh joy!

Julie