Monday, September 24, 2007

The Evil Eye Explained

I didn't have time this morning to do a longer post, but the pictures of Thumbelina and her Evil Eye were directed at her Uncle, AB. The Look, as we refer to it at home, is not just reserved for her Uncle, AB, it is reserved for anybody who talks to her with whom she does not wish to converse, be it male or female. She cracks me up. And yes, Mr. Happy and I have both been the receipients of The Look, but it always follows with giggles. The giggles are only for Mr. Happy and me.

Question for all you wise-of-the-world people out there. Mr. Happy and I were invited to his cousin's wedding, but we are unable to attend. We have not seen, nor spoken to said cousin in over 10 years, since the funeral of Mr. Happy's Grandmother. And the only reason we were invited is because another cousin wanted to go to the wedding, and Mr. Happy's Aunt told her son (the groom) that if he invited one cousin, he had to invite all the cousins. Which is why we were invited. And Mr. Happy's Aunt told me all this when she called to get addresses of Mr. Happy's siblings (Hi Siblings-in-law!) SO, my question is, are we still obligated to send a wedding gift? In today's mail there is an invitation for a bridal shower for the bride. Seems to me that they're pretty desperate for people if I got an invite, being a little-old-nothing-in-law and all, and the shower is in a town about 3 hours away. I'm not going. It's on a Thursday night at 7...I wouldn't get home until midnight...I turn into a pumpkin after 10 pm...so am I obligated to send a bridal shower gift? And what the heck is an Envelope Party??? I'm just not up on all the proper cousin-in-law-see-you-in-10-years-etiquette.

The Aunt & Uncle of my offspring were in town on the weekend to give them their collective birthday present. And this is what happened when a certain little boy thought he really got a teapot, because his portion of the gift was wrapped in a teapot box. Someone has quite the sense of humor. If you look close enough, you can even seen his bottom lip quivering:

And then when the realization sinks in that no, it really wasn't a set of dishes that was given:

Or a make-up mirror:

It was a Wii:

No, not a wha?? a Wii:

So now everybody is arguing over who gets to do what first. Thanks relatives!

5 comments:

Middle-Aged Moi said...

My rule is....if I'm not going to the wedding, I'm not obliged. THat being said, if it's someone close to me I WANT to give them a gift. If it's someone I haven't seen in 10 years,and I'm not going to the wedding, I don't think there's any obligation on your part. Just my 2 cents.....:-)

Pauline said...

No you don't have to send a gift to either....as for what does an Envelope Party mean, this normally means a Money Shower

kitchu said...

Maybe I'm old school, but I was always taught that you send a gift if you were invited, whether you attend the wedding or not. But maybe that's changed. ?

D & S said...

Technically, if you're invited you're suppose to send a gift, HOWEVER, I personally don't think that you should send something to someone unless you really want to.

Priscilla said...

Technically you are suppose to send a gift. If you're not going to the wedding and don't even know them you can always send a nice card and a gift certificate.

About the shower, showers I think are more intimate. You should be friends or closer family to attend or send a gift. I don't know if that's proper but I think of them more as a bunch of friends getting together to celebrate.

My philosophy is, if I wonder if I should, then I usually don't.