Friday, September 07, 2007

Quiet

It is quiet here. The boys are at school. It's just me and Thumbelina.


We've survived our week; the root canal went exceptionally well, the funeral was nice, despite it being a funeral and despite Tigger puking just before the service started (on the carpet of the funeral home even), we finally got around to celebrating Husband's birthday - I mean Mr. Happy's birthday - and we have survived our first full night of homework.


Good grief the homework. Tigger had a lot of it last night. A lot. And it was tough stuff for an almost 8-year-old. I think it took him an hour and a half to do a paragraph in his penmanship - it was in cursive. Cursive, people. He kept losing his place and asking us where he was. Plus he had 6 definitions to look up and write out for Science, and of course they were the longest definitions in the whole book. And I know that these things need to be done, but during the first week of school? It's discouraging. Especially when your kid can't go 2 minutes without talking. Oh the talking. It just does not stop. It took him 3 hours to do his homework last night. But a good hour of it was just talking.


Thumbelina slept for 3 hours yesterday morning. 3 hours. 3. I think she just needed a break from listening to all that talking this summer. 3. I think 3 is my new favourite number.


Shaggy has been having an awesome week. So relieved about that.


Zoomer. Can I just say that I'm not really liking this teen-age stuff at the moment? Can I trade him in for a couple more toddlers or something easier to manage? Holy Crap the emotions are up and down like you wouldn't believe. It's as if he has a switch inside of him. One minute he's laughing and joking, and the next he's all I don't need to wash my face; so maybe I like pimples; it's my face! Please tell me I was not like this as a teenager. I know I was difficult, but it was over important issues such as not being allowed to wear make-up or get my ears pierced

or wear high heels.

So that's been the extent of our first week.


My office assistant has offered to clean the office since Yram is no longer in the picture, so I took her up on it. I don't think my office has actually been this clean since we moved in. I'm not sure if this is a good move on my part, but we'll deal with the consequences if/when they appear later.


And I haven't forgotten about pictures. This was yesterday. Miss Thumbelina found a box of golfballs and occupied herself for a good 30 minutes, taking them out of the box and putting them back in.





9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Gotta get me a set of balls to play with!

Anonymous said...

Oh my!! Melvinette you are scandalous!

I shall have to schedule some extra therapy, increase my medication, and take a cold shower.

Anonymous said...

What-chou talkin' 'bout Melvin!?

Thumbelina's Mom said...

Would you two like to be alone???

Anonymous said...

I thought ... well it sounded like ... ummm, never mind

Anonymous said...

Melvin - get it together man.

Anonymous said...

Lonelllyyyy...oh so lonelllyyy!

Poor Melvin. I feel for you man.

Middle-Aged Moi said...

That much homework? THE KID IS EIGHT!!!! Man, some days I'm glad I home school. Sure they have homework, but they're doing it at home already....:-)

And puking on the carpet before the funeral! AAAHHH! What a way to start it off. My son puked in the hotel pool once, and I had to fish it out with my hands. It was really fun.

Thumbelina's Mom said...

Gross!!! I'll never look at a hotel pool the same way!