Monday, December 10, 2007

Concert Time!

Guess what time of year it is! Yes, it's the annual Christmas Cantata - good for you!

Christmas is such a wonderful time of the year...
Christmas is the season of good cheer...
So how do most normal people recovering from back injuries spend their spare time? I spend mine standing in a 30' Christmas tree made from scaffolding for an hour. I presume that's what you'd all do too. Tonight is our last performace - 7:00 pm, so if you live near my sleepy, little town, consider yourself invited.
Friday night was our taping for airing it over our local TV station during the Christmas season; Saturday night was our first performance and the music stopped halfway through the last song...so we kept singing acapella. It was quite nice. And then last night the same thing happened again; we're wondering what's going to happen tonight. And the sound personnel are at a loss as to why it is happening. But it's the last night and we get to pig-out on snacks and junk food afterwards so it's all good.
My back is holding up pretty well. My happy pills are making me happy. And what's really good is that I can blame a lousy solo and altered words on my sore back. It wasn't lousy, but my last note is a high A and it's supposed to be held out forever, and I just can't get enough breath to hold it out for very long at all. And it bothers me that I don't know what to do to hold that note out longer. And last night I had a frog in my throat and the note almost didn't come out, which made me nervous, so there goes my breath. I was doing fine in the car on the way to church, with the help of Tigger and Thumbelina (Thumbelina just screams and then laughs). Saturday night my mind was completely blank when it came to my words; I just basically repeat the same phrase over and over...troubing indeed. Zoomer noticed that I changed the words. So last night I wrote out the 4 main sentence beginning on the inside of my four fingers...I think I'll do it again tonight because it did seem to help. You are just so fascinate by all of this, aren't you.
One more night, one more night, one more night.
Last night I was even feeling ill. Nerves. Because after my solo, the illishness went away.
We had a fabulous weekend with Thumbelina's BFF and her parents. Such great people. Although our time together seemed to be over in the blink of an eye. And Thumbelina was absolutely giddy when she saw her friend. Giddy. I'm sure I have some great pictures, but they are still on my camera...which Mr. Happy took to church last night and forgot to bring home...
The nerves are kicking in a little early today, so I'm going to go make myself a relaxing tea.
If you're good, I might even post pictures of the tree for your viewing pleasure. Of course that won't be until my camera comes home and I download them off my card. You'll just have to be patient.

5 comments:

Middle-Aged Moi said...

I'll be good, I'll be good, I promise! I WANT PICTURES! LOL!

I think it is tres smart to write the words on your fingies.....

Anonymous said...

At my institution we only get to dress up for Halloween. I think it is great that you got to be a 30ft tree for Christmas.

All that and Happy Pills???

I'm definitely putting in a request to transfer to your institution.

PS I'd be interested to know what Melvinette dressed up as for Christmas. I'd think it'd be hard to beat a 30ft tree!

Anonymous said...

I was the star at the top of JAJ's tree!! Or was it a nut? Or maybe just one of those cone shaped thingy's ... not the shape of my head ... a pine cone.

Thumbelina's Mom said...

Melvinette, you're not just a nut - you're squirrelly!

Anonymous said...

JAJ - you say the nicest things!!