Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Frustration

I am frustrated today. All day long I've been frustrated, in fact. It started when I couldn't get the carseat buckled into the truck properly this morning (I was babysitting assorted nieces and nephews yesterday and the extra space was needed in the truck, hence why the carseat was taken out in the first place). And then later on in the morning, my assistant was experiencing computer difficulties. I couldn't even go pee in peace.

Get on with the story, already Jaj, jeesh!

Okay. Okay. So Shaggy came home from school today with what is obviously pink-eye. Or some other such affliction, which is causing his eye to ooze goop and tears and is red and itchy. I called our doctors office a full half-hour before they closed never expecting to get an appointment for this afternoon, but it doesn't hurt to ask.

Me: Hi, I'd like to make an appointment for my son to see my doctor this afternoon.

GTTMOBOHI (Girl That Ticked Me Off Because Of Her Indifference): What is your son's name?

Me: Shaggy Jaj

GTTMOBOHI: I'm sorry but your doctor has stopped seeing patience for the day as of 4:00. What seems to be the problem?

Me: He came home from school with pink eye.

GTTMOBOHI: Ewe. Can you please hold?

GTTMOBOHI: Thank you for holding.

Me: Well what about tonight?

GTTMOBOHI: He's not taking any patients tonight and I'm pretty sure the family doctor on call is all booked up for tonight. Can you please hold?

GTTMOBOHI: Sorry about that.

Me: Well, can my doctor just call in a prescription for me?

GTTMOBOHI: I'm not even sure he's still here. I can leave him the message but he won't get it if he's not here. And it will cost you $5.00. Can you please hold?

GTTMOBOHI: Has he ever done this for you before?

Me: For me he has, but not for my son. He used to get conjunctivitis all the time when he was little, and we just need some gentamicin drops.

GTTMOBOHI: Can you hold?

I have no idea why I was put on hold so many times...there were no phones ringing in the background and all was quiet...it was getting annoying...

GTTMOBOHI: What pharmacy?

Me: The new pharmacy on the corner that is open until midnight. Can I make an appointment with my doctor tomorrow in case he doesn't get your message?

GTTMOBOHI: No. You'll have to call back tomorrow.

Me: insert crickets chirping

GTTMOBOHI: You'll have to call back tomorrow to see if there's a cancellation.

Me: So can I make an appointment for him to see the doctor on call?

GTTMOBOHI: No. The on-call doctor only works on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday.

Me: Wanting to bang my head on the wall because I can't see my own doctor and I can't see the on-call doctor, even though when we signed up with the family of physicians it was supposed to guarantee an appointment with a doctor. You know what, just forget about it. I'll just take him to the walk-in tonight.

GTTMOBOHI: Okay.

Grrrrrr.

I'm all growly now. It has been months and months since I've been able to see my own doctor. I like my doctor. And it wouldn't be so bad if we could actually see the doctor on call, but we usually can't see that doctor either. I just want to get the drops to minimize the spread of the pink eye to the other members of the household.

You know what the worst part of this family group of physicians is? If it's my doctor on call, the girls who answer the phone won't even book his own patients to see him because he has to be open for the other doctor's patients.

Grrrrrr.

5 comments:

Middle-Aged Moi said...

I am feeling your pain, girl! Sing it! I know this drill ALL too well!

Anonymous said...

Did you get your medicine. Why did the teacher not call you to inform you of the situation? You would have had a better chance at getting into the doctor earlier in the day. Is it not school policy to inform parents of a high infectious disease? Do other kids now have the dreaded pink eye?

AM said...

Doctors! GAH!Health Care System! GAH!

Sorry about the pink eye. I really truly hope it doesnt spread to the other kids! :(

kitchu said...

Well first I hope Shaggy got the meds that were needed and is already feeling better :)

Second, I'd consider shopping around for a new doc. That system is mad crazy ridiculous!

D said...

This must be the medical clinic by the ball park!
If you want, I know of 2 doctors that are taking patients....and I know personally of one office that NEVER turns kids away...even if you are calling 30 min before closing time.
Let me know if I can pull some strings....membership has its priviledges ;)