Friday, March 30, 2007

One Week Home

Our first week home together with Thumbelina has flown by. I guess when you're in a constant state of exhaustion, it's easy to forget what day it really is.

On Monday I had to work; and I was resentful for it. And as a result, Thumbelina slept way too long and was up all night. When you have a family business, you don't have a choice but to work and things needed to be done.

On Tuesday, I had personal space issues. I decided not to work and to spend my day with Thumbelina, playing with her and doing all the stuff I've been dreaming about for the last two years. Except my assistant had other ideas and followed me from room to room asking me questions. Our office is attached to our house which really sucks sometimes. I think she got the hint when she said to me, "You don't mind me following you around, bugging you, do you?" and I didn't answer; I just smiled. I need my personal space, people. Don't enter my personal space.

Or maybe that happened on Wednesday. I really don't know. But yesterday she was mad at me and wouldn't look me in the eye or talk to me. Whatever.

Oh, I remember Wednesday. Wednesday my brother's house caught fire and I looked after my 2 nieces and 2 nephews for the day. Their neighbour saw smoke coming from their garage and banged on the windows, waking them up. Their garage, mudroom and back bedroom were destroyed and they won't be able to go back into the house until the water and smoke damage is cleaned from everything. I'm really thankful nobody was injured.

So today is Friday. I've been having a hard time staying awake past 6:00 pm, but last night I was able to stay up until 8:30 pm. Party on! Thumbelina slept okay in Beijing, but has since regressed. I knew it would happen, but I secretly hoped that we would be part of the chosen few who would come home with a baby that would continue to sleep. Last night she slept in my arms - she had to have her cheek touching my bare arm continuously, and she awoke a few times screaming. The screaming is new.

She adores her brothers and now hollers at them. It is the funniest thing. She just looks at one of them a yells at the top of her lungs. Not because she's angry, just to get their attention. Tigger is feeling a little left out, so I'm trying to give him extra hugs.

Sorry, no pictures this post, the Little Miss is starting to crab and needs some lunch.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Awwwww sounds like things are settling in nicely! i'm so happy for you that you have ur sweet girl home at last, all the rough nights, assistant following, baby screaming will soon be forgotton when she calls u momma and u can go girl shopping and hang out :) enjoy these moments while they last :) she'll only be a baby once!