Friday, March 02, 2007

Teetering on the Edge

I'm teetering on the edge of meltdowns. Not quite insanity. Maybe, though. You know it's bad when you have to fight back tears in the bank. The Bank, people.

One of the requirements for our adoption is to give the orphanage a donation. We are glad to do this. They've taken great care of Thumbelina for all these months, it's the least we can do. The donation has to be in brand new US 100 dollar bills. Brand-spanking new. A year and a half ago, I asked our bank for the required monies. The girl at the bank, when she gave me the money, gave it to me in 50's and 20's - some of it was new, most of it was not. Her statement when she gave me the money was We do this for a lot of people, it doesn't have to be in 100's. Um, excuse me, but yes it does. So we just held onto it and decided we would exchange it for the new 100's when it got closer for us to go to China.

Which brings us to yesterday. We are now with a new bank, I have very bad feelings towards our old bank, very bad, our new bank treats us wonderfully. Except for yesterday. Our account manager is awesome and gets things done for us. We requested the brand new 100's and he said Mr. Branch Manager will have them tomorrow. Husband talked to the Mr. Branch Manager the next day and Mr. Branch Manager said Why don't I hold on to this for you and you can come in to get it when it gets closer to your trip. Awesome.

So yesterday I walked in to the bank and said Is Mr. Bank Manager here? He has some money for me.

Crabby Bank Lady: No, he doesn't. Mr. Bank Manager doesn't have any money.

Me: Yes, he does. He had brand new US 100's for me. I was told to come in and see him about it.

Crabby Bank Lady: Well he doesn't. I'll have to order it in for you. You can pick it up tomorrow.

Me (Trying not to cry): But what if it's a snow day?

Perky Lady at the Help Desk sitting beside Crabby Lady: Oh, well we'll still be open!

Me (Thinking to myself): You don't have kids, do you.

Perky Lady: Where are you going?

Me: China

Perky Lady: Oh how exciting! You know, my husband goes to China every so often, and he's taken US money, but it's never had to be brand new before.

Me: This is for an adoption.

Perky Lady: Congratulations! That's wonderful! Girl or boy?

Me: Girl.

Crabby Lady (getting a little less crabby): My cousin adopted two girls from China. They're sweet.

So the bank people said they could hold my money for two days, since I wasn't sure I could make it in today to pick it up. And today is a snow day. We had freezing rain last night.

When I got home, I told Husband my tail of woe. He said The money is at the bank. They just don't know what they're talking about. So he talked to Mr. Bank Manager this morning, who is cancelling my second order for brand new US 100's because he already has my money. Which he's not really supposed to do (hold money like that), but for us, he did it.

So a warning to you - don't push me because I will break.

I e-mailed my agency yesterday because I just need clarification and reassurance on some paperwork, and I have yet to hear back from them. Which is not helping my state of mind. I think I've figured out the answer to my questions on my own, but still. And honestly, if we do another adoption (which Husband said isn't going to happen), I will pick a different agency. Because there have been a few things now that haven't sat well with me.

In other news, Lola, our friend Trix, and I went to Buffalo and picked up Fil from the airport. And we had such a normal trip. Completely normal. Boring, almost. So different from our last trip to Buffalo.

I picked up some more clothes for Thumbelina, a princess chair, and doll-shaped bookshelf. I'm so so so excited. Lola and Trix both think I'm spoiling her. I just stuck my tongue out at them and said I've waited a long time for this.

Don't push me. I will break.

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know how you feel although for much different reasons. The drive home last night was such an experience. I was white knuckle driving it all the way home and it was two hours of driving thru the snowy/icy conditions as I was watching transport trucks sliding into the ditch and not being able to make it up any kind of incline. Lots of fun. This morning was so much better though. There was no one on the roads. It might have something to do with the fact that the mayor is telling people to stay off the roads due to falling branches and power lines. I am sure that doesn’t apply to me though. Also TV was down last night because of the storm. The horror! To top it off, I am disappointed that I couldn’t go to Buffalo with you guys and I am sure it would have been a more eventful trip for you had I been there. Maybe not eventful in a good way because I am sure I would have found a way to get you turned around or lost again just to make you look like an idiot to the border guards (I do have a knack) but eventful nonetheless.
Anyway, the compound in Florida is starting to look really good right about now, lawn bowling and all.

Anonymous said...

You hang in there girl! Fight back the insanity. It's probably not too late for you!!

Thumbelina's Mom said...

JB you have my full sympathy for the drive home and the TV thing! Although our TV was on last night, but CSI was a re-run. First show we've been able to watch since Christmas and we've already seen it. There will be other trips to Buffalo...hopefully sooner than a year from now...but the trip was too normal. And yes, bring on the compound!

Thank you for the encouragement, Melvin...I think...

Anonymous said...

Are you calling me "normal"? That's an insult...I try so hard :(

Thumbelina's Mom said...

Don't you think our trip was normal? I mean for us? Maybe Trix has some mystical powers over people that we don't know about.

RDC said...

I hope your day gets better and I'm with you all the way on the "agency" thing. Drives me NUTS too!!!

Thumbelina's Mom said...

I'm relieved to know I'm not the only one with agency 'issues'...it's too bad though, isn't it.

Sugar Cookies And Hope said...

I'm officially sending you some cyber strength. It sucks when things seem to always be so difficult.

Middle-Aged Moi said...

Oh, do I ever get it. Just a weeeeeee little pit of pushing, and WHAMO! I'm a psycho-tear laden lady with no patience! I'm sorry you're so stressed. Just think of Thumbelina......:-)

Hugs from Alberta to "Evil Ontario"

kitchu said...

I won't push you... but I wish I were closer so I could give you a hug! Your day and my day matched woman... only mine was a 14hr work day with no break (nurse) and coming home to a house that smelled like cat pee, cuz my ex mom in law who took him to the vet didn't notice he peed in the carrier... yeah. On the carpet. My bed. Everywhere. FUN. I did break, and cried my eyes out (bit of a neat freak, that's me).

Anyway, not to go off on a tangent about myself, I'm sorry you had to deal with so much miscommunication and the crabby bank lady.

Thumbelina's Mom said...

Hugs right back at you all! Thanks so much for the encouragement!

D & S said...

That's a terrible way to treat your clients! If you have a request the bank should honour it period. I'm glad it all got sorted out in the end.

Just hang on to that sanity, you're almost there.

Thumbelina's Mom said...

I'm almost sane or almost through the pre-travel stress? Don't answer that...

Anonymous said...

I think next time you just ask for the Bank Manager, and when crabby desk people ask what the nature of your business is, you tell them it's none of their bees wax. If it was their bees wax, you'd have asked to talk with them. :P

Thumbelina's Mom said...

Can I say bees wax?

Actually I did ask for him but he was in a meeting of some sort...I failed to mention that in my gripe...I mean post.