Monday, May 07, 2007

Intentions

The road of life is paved with good intentions. And our road is no different. My intentions were to have a big birthday bash for Thumbelina, because you only turn 1 once, but it didn't happen. I was going to invite aunts and uncles and cousins by the dozens (well, the 4 of them anyway), and balloons and princesses, but with Husband and Shaggy sick all week, the house was disastrous and I was exhausted to the point of tears. Thus, I had no energy to do such a bash. Instead, Shaggy put up Sponge Bob balloons and Tigger got out Spiderman napkins. But we did have a Tinkerbell birthday cake! It was the closest to Thumbelina that I could find.

We went to our/my favourite Chinese restaurant for lunch, Thumbelina wore her red silk dress, and could hardly stay awake. She didn't nap at church and was extra tired. Plus she was a little out of sorts and I couldn't leave her in the nursery so I stayed with her the whole morning. And even then, she wouldn't get on the floor to play, she stayed on my lap and played. So back to lunch. The owners were happy to see her, so I was glad we went. Even though Husband took Thumbelina home half-way during our meal so that she could nap.

Both sets of grandparents came over in the afternoon and we had an impromptu party with cake and presents. Thumbelina was very happy ripping paper and trying to eat it. And the cake. She loved the cake! We actually thought it might have been too much for her tummy last night because she was pretty restless, but she managed to sleep until 3:00 am in the playpen, and then in our bed until 6:30. So we are definitely making progress. I think it's just a matter of time for her, to feel really secure with us and know we will be here for her when she wakes up, and soon enough she will be sleeping on her own in her own crib. I think.

Happy Birthday JB - I'm sorry it didn't work out for us to have a double party. Maybe we'll do one if/when Allie & Lewis come home this summer.

The Decorations:


I'm the Birthday Girl!


The Cake:


Yummy:


Where did it all go?

4 comments:

D & S said...

So long as you're all together, that's the most important thing.

Anonymous said...

Love the sign! Do you have pics of her in the red dress? I heard a lot about it. Thanks for the Birthday wishes. AB went swimming to celebrate. The water was 56 degrees. Even Shaggy may think that is kind of crazy.

AM said...

Mmm chocolate cake. My favorite! And Emma will definetly have choclate cake for her birthday. :)

Thumbelina's Mom said...

Thank you for the birthday wishes, everybody =)

JB - I didn't get a picture of her in her red dress - how dumb am I, but we will play dress up this week, or maybe make an appt with Fred for some portraits in various outfits. Do you think 10 outfits is too many?? Nice of AB to celebrate your birthday by swimming...