Monday, October 08, 2007

Happy Turkey Day!

Happy Turkey Day to all my fellow Canucks! Awesome weather, isn't it. I think we're going to be in for a shock when Fall actually arrives. Until then, my clan is content to wear t-shirts and shorts.

  • So last night we were at church. And as Shaggy and I were walking out of the auditorium, he decides to swing from the door post - there are 3 doors separating the auditorium from the foyer, with a post in between each door - the doors are all open before and after the service. As he did it, I thought to myself, At least he didn't do a cannonball when he got baptized...{a side note here - Shaggy & Tigger were baptized 2 weeks ago and we have it on film...it will make you laugh, but I don't know yet how to shorten it down from 5 minutes to 2-3 minutes...but it will make you laugh...not as much as the cannonball baptism, so maybe you'll just chuckle instead} so where were we. Oh yes, Shaggy swung from the door post from the inside of the auditorium to the foyer. And then as I'm walking, I heard this huge bang; it sounded like a bomb or a gun shot...but having never really heard a bomb or a gun shot in real life I couldn't be sure. So I looked across the foyer at the family with their 2 month old baby, hoping it wasn't the car seat that got dropped...so then I looked down at my flute that I was carrying, hoping that the case hadn't opened, spilling my flute everywhere...and then I looked behind me. And I saw the door post on the ground. And there's Shaggy standing there with a sheepish look on his face. Metal on ceramic tile makes a huge booming sound. Oy. At least at church, people have to be forgiving, right? You don't suppose they actually know that my child can be fiendish at times, do you?

  • Friday afternoon our social worker came for our 6 month post-placement visit. It's a requirement from China. I was very happy to show off Thumbelina, so I was looking forward to the visit. China also requires pictures to be sent, showing Thumbelina's life here in the Great White North and with her family, and of course I don't have a picture of the 6 of us together. We had our family portrait taken 3 weeks ago, but we don't have any pictures back from that yet. And we're getting more pictures taken the end of this month. My girlfriend had warned me about the pictures - her social worker was very fussy about which ones needed to be sent to China, and the ones that she thought should have been sent, didn't get chosen by the social worker. So I was nervous and had about 80 pictures ready for our social worker to go through...I didn't think 80 pictures was too bad out of the thousands that have been taken since March. Anyhoo, during the visit, as we're looking through pictures, Miss Thumbelina decided that right at that moment would be the perfect time to try to climb up onto the piano bench...the piano bench comes up to about her chest. She got her foot up there quite easily...and then fell smack onto her side...onto the hardwood floor...with our social worker watching. And I was trying to stop Thumbelina from climbing up onto it, but I wasn't fast enough. Oy. In front of the social worker.

  • So this past week was our local fair. It actually ends today. Yes, we will be spending our Thanksgiving at the Fair instead of with family. Remember last year when we boycotted the Fair and went to Florida instead? Well, we couldn't do that this year because Thumbelina isn't officially a Canuck yet. And we boycotted the Fair because it's too expensive...I know, I know, that doesn't even make sense to go to Florida because the Fair is expensive. Whatever. Anyhoo, we went to the Fair on Thursday after school, because Shaggy really wanted to see the Monster Trucks, and because the boys had Friday off of school, so it was okay to have a late night during the week. The school gives the kids the Friday off to go to the Fair so then everybody can have a 4-day-weekend for Turkey Day. So while the boys were watching the Monster trucks, Thumbelina and I walked through the buildings. A couple of times. And I've seen everything I need to see at the Fair and I'm all Fair'd out. But we still have to go this afternoon. And Mr. Happy is just thrilled beyond thrilled that we get to go back again, because he's such a people person. Yes, that was sarcasm.

  • Being that today is Turkey Day, I'd just like to share with you all that I'm Thankful that I wasn't alive during the 16th Century. Mr. Happy and I watched Elizabeth last night (stayed up waaaayyyy too late, too) and really enjoyed the movie. Mr. Happy said I wouldn't have done well living in the Medieval Time. I told him I'd have had to have been royalty to even just survive it. So I'm Thankful that I'm living in the 21st Century instead of the 16th.

Have yourself a wonderful day!

Shaggy on the Cannonball - I love the expression on his face:

Way up at the top ready to be dropped:

My beautiful girl:

Shaggy & Tigger on the kite thingy ride:

The Fair at night:

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Happy (Belated) Turkey Day to you too!