Thursday, January 24, 2008

Giant Brand Named Stores...Coming Soon to a Town Near You

So yesterday was the grand opening of Wal Mart in my tiny little town. And you would have thought it was the day after Christmas by the way the parking lot was filled. On the way to school the boys saw a bus there, and Shaggy wondered if some kids were on their way for a field trip. That's how much excitement the opening has stirred within us. Husband told Shaggy it was most likely extra workers being bussed in from other stores to help out.

Due to unforeseen circumstances, such as disobedient children, we were not able to go yesterday after school. We did, however, go today. And I've gotta say, I'm a smidge disappointed. It has very much a warehouse feel to it, with concret floors and moveable isles. No bright cheery flooring that I'm used to seeing in the other stores. And the clientele looked a bit...skuzzy...shall we say. Although I shouldn't stereo-type people, because I'm sure they thought the same of me...what with my mom-jeans, no make-up, untidy hair, and bevy of hoodlums following me along and all...but the experience didn't really make me eager to go back. And if it weren't for the fact that I drive past it twice a day, I probably wouldn't be frequenting this particular store very often.

But I did score a $35.00 cabbage patch kid for 10 bucks! Asian no less. Although she does have a weird bright pink stripe down her bangs...

Maybe I'm just in a tired mood and shopping with 4 kids in tow is never an exciting experience for me. But it's good therapy for my back (which is feeling pretty good actually), so Thumbelina and I just might have to go back tomorrow sans hoodlums.

3 comments:

Jo said...

Thank you for the comment you left for Mrs. Figby. I have goose bumps and a warm feeling all over me. I do believe I am going to adopt that saying as my own. wow.

Middle-Aged Moi said...

I usually like to go there without hoodlums too. It's much more peaceful.

AM said...

I have a Love/Hate relationship with Wal-mart. It usually is filled with skuzzy people (customers and workers) and is often VERY crowded and crazy. BUT, it has the best deals around on everything! I've been fortunate that the past two times I've gone its been fairly quiet.