Monday, January 21, 2008

How To Get Your Teenager To Cook

Step 1: Re-injure your back that you injured exactly 8 weeks ago. And which has taken exactly 6 weeks to get back to feeling completely normal.

Step 2: Sit in the big comfy chair all afternoon watching your favourite shows on the new HD 46" TV that airmiles bought.

Step 3: Wait until the children get hungry and ask, "What's for supper?" (Oh, sorry Lisa, I mean Dinner) ;-)

Step 4: Suggest cereal.

Step 5: Sit back while the teenager pooh-poohs that idea and gets out the cookbook to make Skillet Ravioli.

I bought me a new cookbook shortly after Christmas, it's from Better Homes and Gardens, and I have to say I am absolutely in love with it. So much so, that I have been cooking every single night. And I am making meal plans each week. With actual groceries in the house with which to make said meals. And we've only had take out twice in the last 21 days. Twice. This is huge, people. Huge.

So how did I hurt my back again, you ask? I bent over to pick up a bottle that Thumbelina had thrown on the floor. Seriously. That's all I did. And although it isn't as sore as it was the first time I hurt it, it is limiting my normal daily activities to a great degree. I'm hoping the children are telling me the truth about their homework status, because I'm not really able to check on them. Oh sure, I can blog, but blogging is different. Blogging doesn't require actual movement.

6 comments:

D & S said...

A little bit of pain is all it takes??? Thanks for the tip.

Middle-Aged Moi said...

Ugh. NOt again! I hope it gets better soon. Although your kid cooking is kind of a bonus, n'est-ce pas?

Anonymous said...

Can I come look after you?

Please give me a few days notice. It takes time to get all the paperwork together to get a day pass.

Anonymous said...

I have created some truly awesome recipes I'm sure your teenager would just love to cook for you. The recipes are simple and include antipsychotic medications that should be found in every kitchen.

1. Peanut Butter and Zyprexa Sandwiches

2. Grilled Cheese and Seroquel

3. Eggs Benedict in an Risperdal sauce

4. Ham and Abilify

Note: Side effects include jerky muscle movements you cannot control, sudden numbness or weakness, confusion, unusual thoughts or behavior, hallucinations, and above all, loss of appetite

Enjoy!

Anonymous said...

Melvin,

I'm surprised they still let you around an open flame after the last incident.

It is nice to see that your eyebrows and arm pit hair are finally starting to grow back.

Anonymous said...

JAJ - you have some pretty peculiar friends. What is that saying? "you are known by the company you keep"