Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Dentists and Dentalatia

So I had to go to the dentist this afternoon to get a filling repaired. It's the second time this particular filling has needed to be fixed. Because when you're a kid and need to wear retainers, you tend to get more cavities than your non-retainer-wearing peers. At least that's what I tell myself so that I'll feel better. So my fillings are all very old, and because I grind my teeth at night, the fillings are not as sturdy as they used to be. And I'm getting a night splint as well...to help with the grinding...because I'm wearing away my teeth. I had a night splint a few years ago, but when I woke up in the night because I was choking on it, I decided to stop wearing it.

And getting impressions for said splint. How fun is that. Do I hear any cheers out there? If you've never had the experience of getting impressions done, let me just tell you that it really isn't that bad...until the goo from the metal plate that's plastered to your teeth starts to drip down into your throat...all the while fighting the urge to gag...and after what seems like an eternally long time, the impression technician can't get the tray unstuck from your teeth because the suction is so strong. Seriously. But other than that, it's not bad. Until it's time to do it all over again...because since there is nothing more that can physically fit into your mouth other than one tray, the top and bottom impressions are done separately.

It's a joy.

It's been awhile since I've had cavities filled, and all these new-fangled tools and contraptions are just quite futuristic-looking to me. What with that little white thingy that looks like an ear thermometer, except it has an orange light and shield on the end of it. What exactly is that for? Does that little one-inch shield protect the hygenist from radiation or something? And is it normal for the freezing to last 5 hours? My freezing was very bizarre because I had feeling on the inside of my lip; it only felt like my tooth was frozen and not any other places in my mouth. Until, of course, I had to rinse. And then I made a mess of my bib because everything dribbled down my chin. Sexy. I couldn't even drink my protein smoothie at supper without dribbling...even using a straw. And by the time I went to church tonight, the freezing was gone except the right half of my top lip was paralized. I couldn't move it, and when I smiled the right half of my lip went over to the left side. At least that's what it felt like. Lola got a kick out of it. I was the highlight of her day. I was starting to get worried that it was going to be a permanent thing, but now my lip is normal and I'm just left with a toothache.

You so wish you were me.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Can we see the picture of your lovely smile...before and after?

Anonymous said...

So descriptive! I could actually picture it...so if I burst out laughing next time I see you don't take it personally.
You really should think about writing a book.
JB

Anonymous said...

Ahhh Teeth. Those were the days!

Anonymous said...

I did see it in person. And you are right JB...it was hilarious.

No offence Jaj. You still do have a beautiful smile...even if it is a little lopsided.