Tuesday, August 21, 2007

A D'OH! Moment in the Life of a Thief

Intriguing title, isn't it. There's never a dull moment here at the Funny Farm, and last night was no exception. Husband got a phone call early this morning from Razor Blade (he works for us) saying that Mr. Toad's truck was in the ditch, the keys were still in the truck, and the quad was out of the shop. Meaning somebody had tried to steal the quad as well, but since it's extremely hard to start, they didn't get anywhere with it.

Hmmmm.

Somebody was up to some tom-foolery last night. And my first thought after the phone call? I've got to get up and blog about this! Except Princess Thumbelina was still asleep in our bed and when the Princess is asleep, we no wakey.

So when Husband went to get Mr. Toad's truck out of the ditch (Mr. Toad is holidaying at The Compound and incidentally is due home today sometime) he noticed a cell phone on the front seat of the truck. Hence the title and the D'OH! moment for those hapless criminals. I told Husband it was probably the same people who stole his wallet out of his truck a few months ago. I never blogged about it because at the time, it just didn't seem blog-worthy. AND, it's probably the same kids who set fire to all the rubbermaid mailboxes down the road last winter. I didn't blog about that, because I think we were in Banff at the time.

Anyhoo, upon further investigation it seems that the thieves went through all of the vehicles at Razor Blades house. He tends to keep all his old cars for spare parts. So there wouldn't have been anything worth finding in any of those, unless you're looking for spare parts, in which case you might find something to your liking. But I'm not, and I don't.

And upon even further investigation, Fil discovered that he forgot to lock his truck last night. And he left his wallet in it. It's the country, it happens. But they only stole all his money, not his credit cards. And I think he's even a little put out that they didn't try to steal his truck instead of Mr. Toad's because it's a nicer truck than Mr. Toad's.

So the police are on their way, but another truck was stolen in our wee little town last night and all available personnel are investigating that one first. Quite the crime spree we have going on here.

And the cell phone that was left behind? Had the kid's name and picture in it, so Husband called the kid's dad. Who said it wasn't him because he's in jail. It was probably his brother.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

a little too close to home for me
can't believe crime like that has moved up your way, such a short distance from me.....so sorry....hope it settles down soon, what has this world come to?

D & S said...

That last paragraph killed me! LOL! Those are the dumb thieves you hear about on Jay Leno and other late night talk shows. I hope they nail him.

Anonymous said...

There have been some similar things happening around here. I wanted to call you and tell you about it, but it seems I have misplaced my cell phone ... that and I've been busy shopping ...
Anyhoo...

Thumbelina's Mom said...

Heh.