Saturday, October 20, 2007

Friday Night Date Night

You know the romance is gone when there's nothing left to do but spend your
date night at the Super Store.


That quote is from Mr. Happy. About our date last night.

Yesterday afternoon Mr. Happy told me that if I could find a babysitter, he could take me out to dinner. So I did and he did. Except he had to work late, so our date didn't actually start until 7:00 pm, when we dropped Zoomer off for his activity (he went through a corn maze with the kids from church). Since we are nearing the end of our fourth decade, we decided it was better to stay in town and dine at one of the fine establishments offered to us. Because we didn't want to stay out late and drive to another town. Because we are turning into old fogies. I told him no McDonald's, no Wendy's, no Arby's. That left little else. Seriously. We live in Small Town, No-where-ville, Great White North.

So out of the 3 restaurants left to choose from, we decided on the one at the mall. And I say mall very loosely. I just personally find it sad when the 2 main stores at the mall are Giant Tiger and Food Basics. With little else in between. I promise you, I could not make this up if I tried. But at least they have those handy-dandy You Are Here signs at each entrance...wouldn't want to get lost in the mall, you know.

After our meal, which was good - thank you for asking, we attempted to walk through the mall. And saw 3 of our employees. Talked to them for a few minutes and then decided to go to Zellers to buy Zoomer some new jeans.

Drove to Zellers - at the other end of town - took all of 3 minutes to do - and the parking lot was dark. At 8:00 on a Friday night. Very weird, especially since Friday night is a big shopping night here in No-where-ville. I think they must have had some sort of system malfunction or something. I asked Mr. Happy if I should go knock on the door to see if anybody could let us in...anyway, we decided to go to the Super Store, which was beside it. Because the Super Store is not just a grocery store. It is so much more.

We bought Tigger a chicken costume for the Harvest Party - this year's theme is farming/harvest and I just don't have the time or energy to be creative. So a chicken he will be. And we bought a case of halloween chips for the harvest party and a container of jujubes. That were old a chewy. And we forgot to buy milk, so somebody will have to go back today and get some milk.

And this is when Mr. Happy said that you know the romance is dead when you spend your date at the Super Store. Personally, I think the romance isn't dead, but rather that's how we know we are living in No-where-ville...when there's nothing left to do but go to the Super Store.

But our town is starting to grow. Wal Mart is being built, Home Depot is coming to town, as is Staples, and another restaurant. Apparently.

You are so jealous. I can tell.

1 comment:

D said...

Aww, c'mon....the town isn't that bad is it? Hee Hee ;)

I was going to try to come up with some witty remark about some other place in town that you were forgetting to mention....but, really, I think you just about covered it.

We had Saturday night date night tonight....decided to go out of town to qute the swanky restaurant overlooking the waters of Lake Erie...but then again, we are only approaching the end of our third decade.....

I love reading your blog entries....your dry sense of humour makes the descriptions of this oh-so lovely town so much more interesting. Enjoy the rest of the weekend.