Friday, February 09, 2007

Feelin' the Sting

Oh.My.Arm. I have never really felt anything quite like that before in all my life. And no, I'm not talking about getting a tattoo, I'm talking about immunizations. Needles. Shots. The aftermath.

Husband and I went to the travel clinic in London on Wednesday; I knew we both needed our tetanus updated and we wanted to talk with them about what else we should get. I really just wanted them to tell me over the phone and save us a trip, but they wouldn't do that. So we ended up getting the typhoid shot as well. Husband said he would rather get typhoid fever than the needle we got. Holy Moly. The nurse who administered it said the tetanus would hurt worse and said we should get it in the opposite arm that we use most, which we did. She was so wrong. So very very wrong. And I'm not trying to sound like a wimp or anything, but Ouch. Seriously, Ouch. Obviously I couldn't cook supper Wednesday night, and I couldn't really clean up the kitchen from our take-out. Zoomer did it for me. It was hard putting the boys to bed, and I almost slept with my clothes on. Almost.

We were also given malaria drugs, which incidently are the same drugs I took when my arthritis was at its worst 10 years ago. Long story, I'll tell you about it someday if you're interested. So I'm actually kind of excited about taking them again, even if it is just for 8 weeks, because I'm hoping my hip will give me no trouble on our trip. We also have an emergency 3 day supply (1 pill/day) of tummy medicine for severe tummy troubles, in case immodium or something over the counter does not work. Oy. Sounds lovely, doesn't it? My friend in our travel group who is a doctor told me not to bother taking Dukoral, which is a preventative medicine, and the travel clinic told me the same thing. Dukoral is for one specific type of bug only. So if you take it, and you don't end up getting that bug, great, but there are a lot more bugs out there that will give you the same sorts of trouble. I say squash all the bugs. Down with the bugs! Oh, I crack myself up sometimes.

So Zoomer had his meningitis shot at school; the travel clinic said he will be up-to-date on his tetanus but recommended he get his typhoid and the malaria pills and something more suited for kids for the tummy stuff. Except he starts his Twin-Rix regimine on Monday and I really don't want him to have to have the typhoid if he doesn't need it. I know other people who have gone over to China without having the typhoid shots...

I have a question for you all. This is about school. I am trying my best to get along with Shaggy's teacher, I really really am. And no, I wasn't being sarcastic. Shaggy, if you will remember, missed 4 days of school last week. School policy is that the kids get however many days they missed plus one to make up their school work. So Shaggy would get 5 days to make up his work. But his teacher is saying that all his work is due today. Which is day 5, so he really only got 4 days to make it up. In my mind, he still has today to make up his work and it would be due on the next school day, which is Monday. We have all his work done (I hope) but I wrote a note asking for clarification. Husband thinks the work would be due today as well. And he wasn't happy with me that I wrote a note about it. But I promise you, it wasn't snotty in any way. And I even wrote, "Have a good day". And I meant it. So reading what I just wrote, is your interpretation of the policy on missed days that his school work is due today, or am I really just out of my mind like I'm beginning to wonder thinking that it's due on Monday.

3 comments:

D & S said...

Those shots to the muscle are the worst. When we got our Hep shots done, my arms were sore for days.

Anonymous said...

OW! I am so nervous about our shots. I am such a wimp.....

Janet

Gen said...

oh man - your school question confused me in a huge way!!!

Ok - just to let you know that we only got the Hep shots and nothing else. Sean had traveled to China so many times w/o the shots and was fine so I figured the same. Our only glitch was that we had to tell the clinic that we were getting the shots just because - if we had told then that we were traveling we would have had to go to and pay for the whole travel lecture thingy.

With that said - our last TwinRx shot was last Wednesday and that puppy HURT!!!