Tuesday, October 10, 2006

The Curse of the Jaj's Strikes Again

We're home! Had a fabulous time and hated to leave. Oh, you're wondering about the title? I think we only made it to Florida by the grace of God and dumb luck. When we left last Tuesday, it was pouring rain. Like monsoon rain. By the time we got to Fort Erie, our van was stalling every time we slowed down...oy...but Husband was able to pop it into neutral and keep his feet on both the gas and brake and we were able to make it to the airport. Oh, and it's helpful to actually look at a map for directions before you start your journey. Got to the airport in Buffalo; the people in front of us at the baggage check-in were rearranging their luggage (family of 5) to even out the weight, so that was holding us up. When it was our turn, Husband realized he left his wallet in the van...on the dash...and the check-in lady said he didn't have time to go back and get it and we'd only make our flight if we ran. Oy. We decided that Husband should chance missing his flight to get his wallet and the boys and I would press on. Husband was able to find a police officer who drove him to the van, he got his wallet and was back in time to meet up with us at the x-ray for carry-ons. And then we ran to the other end of the terminal. A kindly gentleman in one of the cart thingies gave us a lift and told us they were calling our name. And then he told us that he does accept tips. I'm not sure the gate people actually looked at our tickets when we got there - they just said the pilot was leaving in one minute. Oy. Obviously 3 1/2 hours isn't enough time to drive in pouring rain from our house to the airport to make a flight with time to spare. I hated it that we were one of those people - you know - the one's who everyone else has to wait for and who have kids with them trying to find their seat and trying to shove all their junk in the overhead bins without bonking all the other passengers in the head. But we made it safe and sound. Zoomer's and Tigger's ears were really bothering them on the landings - we had to change planes in Newark, so that was really cool seeing NYC and the Statue of Liberty.

So the compound was great. Weather was beyond great. Shopping was fun, even with my men. Wednesday we spent the morning doing homework (every morning, actually) and then we went shopping. Funny thing - Zoomer told me he had packed everything he needed. I was too busy to check, silly me, trusting a 12-year-old like that. He packed two changes of clothes and his bathing suit. No socks (not that he needed any), no undies, no pajamas...so we had shopping to do. AND I found a Tar*get!!! Loved it!!! Wednesday night we went out to supper and Tigger told our waitress that we were on vacation. She fell in love with him and asked him where all we had been and what we'd done - he said, We went to Tar*get! It was really cute.

Thursday we wanted to take the boys to the beach but they didn't want to go. I was shocked. They said they don't like the beach and they wanted to stay at the compound and swim and play tennis and play shuffleboard, so that's what we did...as we did each day.

Friday we went to Busch Gardens. I think it's actually illegal to have that much fun. Oh, and having a map and knowing where you're going before you start out is extremely helpful. Again, that dumb-luck thing got us there with minimal hassle.

Saturday I went on a shopping adventure by myself while Husband entertained the boys.

Sunday we went to church and I was so homesick for our church that I was almost in tears. It was just so casual and different and I didn't feel refreshed afterwards. Anyway, we have a lot to be thankful for. Sunday afternoon Husband and Zoomer stayed home and watched the NASCAR race while I took Shaggy and Tigger swimming. We got to the pool and were getting our things out of the truck (Chevy Tahoe - wanted so badly to bring it home with me) when a park patrol guy starts telling me and the people playing shuffleboard that a prisoner has escaped and is in the park. He jumped a fence. And was in the park. The fence. He jumped it. A little nerve-wracking to say the least, but the park guy said the prisoner wouldn't come to a public area such as the pool and they were patrolling the park looking for him, and he said we should keep an eye out for him too - a black male. And then he looked at me and said, Ma'am, keep your kids close. Oh yah, I'll be able to relax at the pool. Meanwhile, Tigger had ran on ahead and was at the pool waiting for Shaggy and I; Shaggy wanted to go home, but I wanted a tan, so we stayed. A kindly lady had opened the gate for Tigger, letting him in to the pool area, so I told her about the park patrol guy and what he had said. She asked me, How tall is he? Did he say how tall he was? And as I said No, I was thinking in my head he's a black male in a predominantly white retirement compound...I think he's going to stand out just a wee bit. Anyway.

Monday we cleaned the house (I think I left some watermelon in the fridge - eeeewwwweee) and thinking we had plenty of time to get to the airport, we left at 10:50 for our 1:00 flight. Again, not enough time. Again, we were the last people on board. But at least we didn't have to run through the airport. Made it back to Buffalo, found our van which is now working fine, and started off for home. A map would have been a good idea, having never driven home from the airport, but we found the border via downtown Buffalo, so all is well.

And now reality.

And I had a list of things in my head that I was going to share with you about our trip, but it's gone now. I need more coffee. So the weather here is definitely autumn; and I have to cover up the small amount of tan I was able to get. And I have a stack of mail to go through about 10 inches high and 312 e-mails to read. But it was all worth it.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Welcome back!

Thumbelina's Mom said...

Thank you!

Middle-Aged Moi said...

YIKES! A prisoner in the park. Yeah, that'd make me real comfortable.

janet