Monday, January 29, 2007

Hey!

It's Monday and still no word on my beloved. Yes, I'm talking about my Tran. My beloved little Tran. Sigh. Husband said to me last night that when he bought it for me, he was just hoping that I'd like it - he had no idea the level of infatuation it would effect.

So we went out Friday night with our Pal and his family. Our Pal and I both got squirted with horse radish and it landed in our hair. A waitress at a table behind us stepped on something or dropped something, but squirted we got. I tell you, having horse radish in your bangs sure does clear out the sinus passages. We should have complained more and tried to get a discount on our meal. We had a great time with our Pal and his family. Nice, nice people.

On Saturday we went to our travel group meeting and met most of the rest of the people in our group. One girl lives in our nations capital and was not able to make the meeting. Traffic was heavy. So we all went out to lunch afterwards; 2 1/2 hours later, Husband gently reminded me that we needed to get going. I was kind of glad to be leaving the restaurant - not the company - because our table was half booth and half chairs...the booth half, where I happened to be sitting, made you sink very low so that the table was chest high. A wee bit awkward for eating. But hey, at least we no longer have a coffee dilemma. As you will recall, I need a cup of joe to get my eyes fully open and my body horizontal. And I've been a tad worried about what to do in China with no coffee maker in our room, but we, as a group, decided to buy a cheapo coffee maker in China and make coffee in the hotel hall for all of us addicts. So we decided we could even buy one in Chensha, leave it there, and buy another one in Beijing for our second week. I'll need to make sure to bring a tin or two of Tim's, some whiteners and some Splenda. I'm so relieved. You have no idea. Mostly I'm relieved because the other travellers don't think my coffee addiction is out of the norm...they even think it's Husband with the addiction! Score one for me!

Saturday night our church hosted a sing-spiration-type-singy-thing. Different churches were invited to come along and have their musical people do specials. It was a really fun evening. I had told Mrs. Choir Director that there was a slight possibility that I'd be late (I was scheduled to sing one solo and my ladies' trio was doing 2 songs), so she scheduled what I was in for the last part of the program. I got home in time to brush my hair and teeth, and I made it back to church just as everybody started singing the opening hymn. Cutting it a little close. I don't really enjoy that amount of stress, plus I hadn't practiced all week because I usually practice in the daytime, but with my assistant around now, I don't feel right about, and I can't practice at night because I bother the boys with my loudness as they're trying to sleep. But it all worked out, even without warming up or practicing.

So today, Tigger has been sick all weekend and now Shaggy is not feeling well. The poor boy had a bag of frozen carrots on his head and then came and asked me if he had a fever. Um, son, your head feels extremely cold.

Husband and Zoomer are on their way home from applying for Zoomer's passport. I took his picture and paperwork to church last night to get Pastor to guarantee it, and Zoomer was showing his picture to his friends. They all said he looked like a terrorist. I thought he looked normal.

I'm going to end this post now because I rubbed my eyes and apparently I must have some onion juice on my fingers, because now I can't see for the stinging and the tears. So please ignore anything that's spelled incorrectly...

Incoherently Yours,

Jaj

4 comments:

Val, Ron and Miss Olivia said...

About the coffee thing....I'm the same - gotta have the jave, so here's what I did. Every room has a kettle and you will, of course, buy bottled water for said kettle. I brought a whole bunch of those Maxwell House coffee bags, which is coffee in tea bags and they were great!! Much better than I expected and MUCH better than Instant.

Good Luck
Looking forward to following the rest of your journey.

Thumbelina's Mom said...

AWESOME!!! Thanks Val, I had no idea such a thing existed! I will have to get me some right away!

Anonymous said...

Well, not having coffee in China won't bug me one bit. I hate the stuff. Now CHOCOLATE is a different story. I'm sure they'll have chocolate. they'll have chocolate, won't they? Maybe I need to have a stash.....of CHOCOLATE.....I better make sure about that chocolate......:-)

Janet

Thumbelina's Mom said...

I have a friend from Korea and she will send $50 worth of chocolate home to her family because chocolate over in Asia is very $$$ - they say chocolate is a good gift to give for nannies and officials because it's too expensive for them to buy for themselves...so you might want to bring some with you when it's your turn to go...