Friday, October 27, 2006

Should I Be Offended?

My kids apparently don't like my cooking. The other day Zoomer asked what was for supper, so I told him spaghetti. He was happy about that, but then made little ballets for everybody to fill out - What spaghetti do you want - check one - Mom's Spaghetti or Style's Spaghetti. Style's is a little diner down the road and their food is crap. Pretty much. And overpriced. So of course all the boys checked the box beside Styles spaghetti, and I gave in. Because you all know how fond I am of cooking. And I justified it by getting a ceasar salad and healthifying our entree a wee bit.

Wednesday night we had fish. Except the fish I bought was disgusting. Buffalo style fish sticks. With a strong fish flavour (I hate fish) and a burning bar-be-que flavour. Shaggy refused to eat it and he eats everything, that's how bad it was. So we filled up on potatoes and ice cream. And I wonder why my jeans are tight...

So last night I thought we'd have sausage for supper (again with the healthy) but I remembered there was some ground chicken in the fridge that I was going to put into the spaghetti sauce that never got made because we ordered out from Style's instead. If you were paying attention I wouldn't have had to type all that out and you wouldn't be sitting there muttering just get on with it! I'm just saying. So I was looking in the cookbook and came up with a casserole concoction similar to one in the cookbook but with the ingredients I had on hand: frozen broccoli on the bottom, browned ground chicken (instead of strips of cooked chicken), cream of mushroom soup (instead of cream of chicken) mixed with mayonnaise, onion and a pinch of cumin (just a pinch because I'm not a big fan of cumin) topped with cheese and bread crumbs mixed with melted butter. Tigger said it smelled like toast. Zoomer and Shaggy said it looked gross. And everybody was picking. So my feelings were a bit hurt and I lectured them about being thankful and just eating supper without complaining...as Tigger gagged on an onion. And then Shaggy said he liked it - It actually tastes good, Mom! When Husband came home he loved it.

I'm just glad today is Friday. Things always seem better on Fridays, don't they? AND, it's my self-proclaimed night off from cooking.

2 comments:

Lola said...

I've had your cooking. I like the nachos and cheese. And Bryan thinks you make great apple blossoms. Don't be so hard on yourself. If you follow the instructions on the box...you can't go wrong!!

Thumbelina's Mom said...

Thank you. I think.