Wednesday, December 20, 2006

Countdown to Thumbelina - 10

Yay! 10! Can you believe it? We might see Thumbelina's picture in 10 days!!! There is a rumor going around that referrals might be here before Christmas, but I really don't believe it. So I'm sticking with my 10 days.

So today's countdown in our Countdown to Thumbelina is Phrases in Chinese That I Should Learn Before We Go to China Because They Could Be Helpful:

1. Hello - Ni hao (knee how)

2. Goodbye - Zai jian (zie jiah)

3. Thank You - Xie xie (she-h she-h (short e sound))

4. Good Morning! - Zao shang hao (zow shung how)

5. Fantastic - Ban ji le (bung key la)

6. I come from Canada - Wo lai zi jia na da (whu lie ph jah nah dah)

7. I promise I will never be late again - Wo bao zheng zai ye bu hui chi dao le (whu bow zhone zie ya boy hoy cha dow la)

8. Wow! - Wa (wa)

9. This restaurant is nice and I like it very much - Zhe jia can ting hen bu cuo Wo hen xi huan (zho ja tung ting hung bo twa Wa hung zhe wan)

10. It looks like he hasn't had enough sleep today - Ta jin tian xiang mei shui xing shi de (ta jing ting shou may shway szeo shuh da)

I have no idea if my pronunciations in the brackets are correct, but it's the closest I could come up. And I'm still looking for a translation for {gack} Coffee {gack} Please {gack} Although I do know that coffee is ka-fay, so maybe I'll be okay after all.

13 comments:

Middle-Aged Moi said...

10 Days! I am sooooo jealous! :-) That's so great! Have a great Christmas!

Anonymous said...

I tried your "good morning" phrase on a Chinese buddy of mine here at work and he slapped me! What up with that?

Actually, he just corrected my pronunciation and explained why the "how" was there & something about nee how meaning how are you & you don't need to use the "how" etc....

For me, I'm much more comfortable with English than Chinese. Basically always have been that way. Wierd huh?

Thumbelina's Mom said...

Maybe because you're not Chinese?

And your co-worker probably just used that as an excuse to slap you...

Anonymous said...

Whatever.

Anonymous said...

Ya, right on AB! Whatever JAJ!!

Thumbelina's Mom said...

Oh come on, where's your Christmas cheer?

Anonymous said...

Totally AB & JB. WHATEVER JAJ!!!

Thumbelina's Mom said...

Whatever.

Thumbelina's Mom said...

AB - you're not allowed to post under someone else's pseudonym. It's against the Law of Christmas Cheer.

Anonymous said...

Doesn't blogger have some way of weeding out people who impersonate other people? It isn't very smart of AB to pull a stunt like this so close to Christmas. By the way, what was your first clue that it wasn't really me? Is it because the fake me agreed with him?

Thumbelina's Mom said...

I knew the real JB wouldn't say 'Right on, AB'. AB should know better than to try trickery with people. Not very Christmasy at all.

Anonymous said...

God Bless US, Everyone ???

Thumbelina's Mom said...

Now you're just being sarcastic.