Monday, December 11, 2006

Countdown to Thumbelina - 19

Woohoo! We're in the teen's in our Countdown to Thumbelina!

Before we get to that, I know you're all just dying to know how the performances have gone up til this point. Heh. Saturday went not so well. It wasn't terrible, but it wasn't great. One song was terrible, but one out of 4 equals not so great. And this song that was terrible, I couldn't get my note and I ended up singing the song an octave lower. The first few notes were really quite terrible. Am I getting my point across with it being terrible? This particular song, while very short, has a quarter note as the introduction before I sing. One beat. Not enough time. And I start on a C, and then go up to an F and then down an octave to an F (C, C, F, F, F, octave lower F). I don't know what the composer was thinking when he wrote that song, so after Saturday's flub up, I decided to just stay on the C and then go down to the F (C, C, C, C, C, lower F). Went so much better last night. But you know you blew it when every single person in the choir pats you on the back after the performance telling you what a great job you did. Sympathy complements. But I'll take it. So. Only one more night to go.

I don't know what to countdown today. I haven't been thinking about what to blog, only about getting through the weekend. The last countdown was pretty fun; remembering the olden days. So let's do that again. Countdown to Thumbelina - 19 - 19 Things That Happened When I Was 19 Years Old. One thing that happend was that Husband put my picture in the newspaper for my 19th birthday. It was my Grade 1 picture. Turkey. Okay, the countdown: Give me a minute, I'm trying to remember what year that was. Okay, here we go:

1. 67 people were killed and 346 were injured in one of the worst air show disasters in history in Germany.

2. The first World Wrestling Federation Summer Slam main event was held at Madison Square Gardens featuring Hulk Hogan & Randy Savage (Hulkamania & Macho Man) against Andre the Giant & Ted DiBiase (Million Dollar Man). Who comes up with these names? Seriously. What's even worse is that I used to watch WWF/WWE on TV every Saturday. Soooo embarrassed by that. My favourite tag-team were the Killer Bees. Don't tell anyone.

3. Hurricane Gilbert devastated Jamaica and hit Mexico's Yucatan Peninsula.

4. The Summer Olympic Games were held in Seoul, South Korea.

5. NASA resumed space shuttle flights with Discovery. The first since the Challenger disaster.

6. In the Great White North, Brian Mulroney and the PC Party won a second majority government. My first election.

7. Pan Am Flight 103 is blow up by Libyan Terrorists over Lockerbie, Scotland, killing 270 people.

8. Roy Orbison died.

9. George H.W. Bush succeeded Ronald Reagan as the 41st President of the United States.

10. Serial killer Ted Bundy was executed in Florida's electric chair.

11. The first of 24 GPS satellites were placed into orbit.

12. The Dilbert comic strip was syndicated for the first time.

13. Students from Beijing, Shanghai, Xian, and Nanjing began protesting in Tiananmen Square, ultimately leading to the Tiananmen Square Massacre.

14. The Calgary Flames won the Stanley Cup.

15. The Skydome was opened in Toronto.

16. Actress Zsa Zsa Gabor was arrested in Beverly Hills for slapping a motorcycle cop.

17. Seinfeld premiered.

18. Mel Blanc died.

And last, but not least,
19. Nightmare on Elm Street 4 was #1 at the box office on my birthday.

So what was happening in the world when you were 19???

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'll be honest. I dont really remember age 19. No real reason, just nothing big happened I guess. I was in college, dating a guy thats pretty much it! I have a horrible memory. HORRIBLE.