Monday, September 18, 2006

Invisible No More

It was the Jaj Show at church yesterday...or at least it felt like it. I knew my Ladie's Trio was scheduled to sing in the morning service and when I got to choir practice, I realized that we were doing the choir song in which I had a solo as well. And then in the evening service I was part of a flute ensemble. Don't cringe - we actually sounded pretty good. At least that's what one of the older, half-deaf women of the church told me last night - When you were all playing the same part, it sounded like one flute. As soon as the evening choir practice was finished, Mrs. Choir Director came up to me and said Can I ask you a favour? Sure, I said. I thought she was going to ask me to tone down the last note of the choir song and not sing so loud, but instead she asked if I could sing a solo. For the evening service. Fortunately I had my new solo book with me because I wanted to show my voice student a song from it. So I sang a song I did a few weeks ago, and hopefully nobody noticed. The frog in my throat kept me company for the first verse and chorus, but after that he got bored with me and left. I think I'd rather go back to being invisible now.

*****

I must tell you that being asked to perform 1/2 hour before the service starts is not the norm at our church. Two girls were scheduled to sing a duet but one was sick, so then Mrs. Choir Director and her husband were going to sing a duet but at the last minute her husband had to go to a villa a few minutes out of town and pick up a teeny-bopper who wanted to go to the teen afterglow after church and they didn't have time to practice. So she asked me. And I don't mind because there are times when I have to call up Mrs. Choir Director on a Sunday morning and cancel because of a sick kid. Okay, I'll stop typing now.

No comments: