Thursday, September 21, 2006

Slackers Are We

Surprised, aren't you. We are finally getting around to getting our Twin*rix vaccines taken care of. We started the process last fall - had our first shot in November, forgot about Decembers, thought about it in February and wondered if it was too late for the second shot, thought about it again in April and realized it probably was too late, lived with guilt about being slackers, went to the doctor the other day and started the process all over again. So what's supposed to happen is you get your first shot (Twin*rix is a vaccine against Hep A & B), then a month later you get your second shot, and 5 months later you get your last shot and you're good to go. My pharmacist informed me that you can get a rapid dosing of the vaccine, and it would be in our best interest to go that route. So we had our first shot today, next Thursday we get our second shot, two Thursday's after that we get our third shot, and in a year we get a booster. And since Zoomer has asked to accompany us on our impending trip to China, the pharmacist recommended that he get the Twin*rix Junior, rapid dosing. Except this past Monday, Zoomer had to get a Hep B shot at school. But the pharmacist said that wouldn't be enough protection for him and that you can't overdose a vaccine. I'm not too sure about that, but I guess I'll give my doctor a call and see what he thinks. So the other pharmacist asked where we were going and why and when I told her, she said I gave her goosebumps. In a good way. So, even though my arm is starting to hurt from the shot, I'm in a great mood because I gave somebody goosebumps. In a good way.

2 comments:

Middle-Aged Moi said...

How soon are you supposed to get these shots? We are only 2 months into our LID.....

Janet T.
tuiningatreasures.blogspot.com

Thumbelina's Mom said...

If you're doing the Standard Dosing (Day 0, Month 1, Month 6), I would start sooner than later ~ but if you're going to do the Rapid Dosing (Day 0, Day 7, Day 21, Booster at month 12) then it's not going to hurt to wait...either way the shots are supposed to protect for 15 years (Hep B) and 20+ years (Hep A).