Saturday, February 25, 2006

Dreams

I had a very weird dream last night; nothing new for me so I thought I'd share it with you. I was at my Mom's house visiting, except it was the house that I grew up in. Odd because that house was torn down years ago. She was grumbling at me because I spend too much time with Husband. See, I told you it was a weird dream. Anyway, I was clearing off her table and counter and putting food away in the fridge - a few casseroles I had made (don't ask me why) and I was explaining to her that "after supper I'm busy with the boys, putting them to bed, and once they're in bed then I clean the kitchen and do dishes and make their lunches for the next day. Husband is busy doing office work until about 9:00 and that's the only time we spend together is from 9 pm until 10 pm, so I'm not really spending all that much time with him." As I'm justifying how much time I spend with Husband, I felt like a teen-ager who broke curfew or something. And then my Mom was grumbling that I should be spending more time with her...all the while I'm thinking why can't you just do your dishes after every meal and clean up after yourself?

Just some background information for you - I grew up in a home where we did the dishes when all the dishes were dirty and we needed clean ones. The counter was never tidy and the table was always piled with stuff. As a child I thought it was because our house was really, really old and I imagined everyone who lived in town in a nice subdivision had perfectly clean houses. I don't go over to my mom's house very often, so I don't know if she still has the same bad habits or not. Whenever company came over, everything was spic-n-span. Sad isn't it. I'm proud to say that I am a Flybaby and I work really hard at keeping a peaceful, tidy home.

Okay, back to dreams. On Thursday night I had a dream about my Dad. He has been dead for almost 6 years, and I've only been able to dream about him once. Makes me sad because I want to dream about him more often. So the dream about my Dad, I knew he was dead but he came back to tell me something important - literally - he came back in my dream to tell me something...except I was awakened by my kids before he could tell me what it was...I can't stop thinking about it.

So do my dreams have any philosophical meanings? Is my Mom going to get Alzheimers and I'm going to become her primary caregiver? Honestly, we get along but not well enough for that to happen.

Unsettling. Dreams are weird.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I too have very graphic and detailed dreams. I have found that I can often link something in the dream to some insignificant event that happened during the previous day or two. Can be a quick 2 second reference to someone in the past that conjures up a dream of some adventure with this person as one of the main characters. The hard part is normally finding the link that caused the dream. Other than that, I don't give any significance to anything I dream.

Have you ever had a dream where you were dreaming. I have had weird dreams where I have "woken up" and told JB about them, and then really have woken up. Those ones get pretty interesting - kind of a "dweam within a dweam" to quote the Princess Bride.

I also had a dream once where a guy was chasing me with a knife and he was about to catch me, but I grabbed his knife arm and squeezed as hard as I could. JB's scream woke me up as I realized I had been grabbing her leg. Must have hurt because it left some pretty good red marks. We look back now at that one and laugh - Both of us laughing, except for her.

Thumbelina's Mom said...

Both of us laughing, except for her...hmmmm...you need therapy I think.

Husband has had dreams where he was trying to turn the combine or tractor off, but he was actually hitting me in the face...I still wonder if it was a 'dream' or if he was releasing pent-up emotions.