Saturday, May 06, 2006

Pass the Bad Mom Award Over Here Please

There is a fine line between trying not to spoil your children and breaking their hearts...I crossed that line today. Today was the silent auction and all in all it was a success; money was raised for the school and we managed to get rid of everything. CJ had been in a bidding war with someone else for a Candy Bouquet but today somebody outbid him. And I didn't up that bid for CJ. I knew he would be upset, but I thought it would be for his own good because:

a) Chocolate is contraband in our house and which would be worse - CJ on chocolate or CJ upset about not getting chocolate
b) Children need to learn they don't always get what they want and
c) AJ bid on a 5 lb chocolate bar and won and will be sharing it with his brothers

So that's where we're at now. I feel like a shoe. Or a heel. Or whatever. I just feel really really bad. If CJ hadn't eaten all of my peanut butter last week, I'd tear off a big hunk of that chocolate bar and have myself a real good pity party. Instead, I'll just go fill-up on Chinese Food. Husband thinks I did the right thing and is even questioning why I feel bad about it. Must be a girl thing I guess. I know he'll get over it but in the meantime, I have a new shelf that I bought at the auction that my Bad Mom Award will look awesome on.


Update

The child who actually won the candy bouquet is a buddy of CJ's and called to tell him he won. I think he was nervous calling. CJ was thrilled to get a phone call and the child asked if he would like something from the bouquet. CJ asked for a sucker. And with that his mood completely changed and he's my happy boy again. The child is actually over here for a play date this afternoon and they are having a great time.

So I overreacted yesterday. But its so difficult sometimes knowing beforehand how a situation will turn out. You just have to make the decision you think is best at the time and hope your children don't hate you too much for it.

No comments: