Tuesday, May 30, 2006

Things I've Learned

I learned a few things while at the funeral yesterday, so I thought I'd share my new-found wisdom with you:

1. People handle grief in different ways - some people cry, others obsess about the little things...like taking taxis or busses instead of riding in air-conditioned cars.

2. A 6-year-old's imagination is still very active during the quiet times when we are supposed to be reflecting on our loved one...Hey Mom, what if someone threw a baseball and it comes crashing through the window...for example.

3. When it's hot out, it's going to be 3,000 degrees hotter under the tent at the cemetary.

4. A 6-year-old's jokes are never funny...

TJ - Hey Mom - Knock-knock
Me - Who's there
TJ - Buzz
Me - Buzz who
TJ - Buzz Lightyear Space Ranger

TJ - Hey Mom - Knock-knock
Me - Who's there
TJ - Woody
Me - Woody who
TJ - Woody the talking cowboy doll

I really could go on and on and on and on.

5. 85-year-old women are fans of American Idol - who knew?

6. Apparently a certain brother-in-law of mine resembles Taylor, the new Idol, so now that's what we call him.

7. It's really nice to be in a family where you're not made to feel like the In-law...or maybe I am and I'm just too dense to pick up on it...either way it's still nice.

8. A 90 minute drive with 3 bored boys sitting in close quarters in the backseat of a truck with 2 parents who are tired is not a good combination.

9. A sense of humor gets you through awkward situations.

10. Your cell phone will ring during a funeral...hopefully you've remembered to turn it to vibrate or better yet - turn it off...and it will be the barn alarm calling you because it's hot out...and it will ring incessantly during the trip home.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

So your brother-in-law and I were talking about the Taylor comment last night and we wondered why the 85 year old American Idol watcher didn't compare him to Anderson Cooper from CNN. I think he would have felt a little better about that comparison. Then he wondered if she ever compared him to Colonel Sanders. I considered that for a minute trying to picture a beard on him and ended up just craving KFC and that was the end of that conversation!

Thumbelina's Mom said...

Actually that's watchers as in two of them...in their 80's. The aunt seemed excited about the comparison - a celebrity look-a-like in the family maybe? The brother-in-law's facial features resembles Taylor moreso than Anderson. To me anyway. And pass the chicken my way please.

Anonymous said...

I think we can all agree that we have a very handsome look-a-like in the family. Time will tell whether the Colonel makes his reappearance.

Thumbelina's Mom said...

You do realize that people in their 80's tend to have poor eyesight...

Anonymous said...

I really enjoyed looking at your site, I found it very helpful indeed, keep up the good work.
»