Wednesday, May 31, 2006

On the Lookout

There is a spider on the loose somewhere in the vicinity of my desk and it is making my productivity today plummet. I'm armed with my handy-dandy Oxi-Clean Miracle Foam since Husband has been unable to squash it for me. It sees him coming and then jumps down in between my desk and the wall. I know he's laughing at me on the inside...Husband and the spider...and now I feel like I have things crawling all over me.

I don't kow where they're coming from - that's the 3rd one I've seen around my desk in a relatively short period of time. I do have a postage machine that's relatively new, so my theory...and it may be way off base here...is that in the manufacturing plant there was a momma who laid eggs inside the postage machine and now they've all hatched and grown up and are out to get me. I'm just full of lovely thoughts aren't I.

Or maybe Blondie let them loose when he had to come back and fix the dry-wall that the construction crew messed up so badly on. I wonder how many more there are.

Or maybe it's a government plot to spy on the little guys.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think your fear of spiders needs to be looked at. If you knew a few more facts about spiders, maybe it would help? Sometimes people fear things that they don't really understand or know. Perhaps I can be of some assistance here.

Did you know that one species of spiders has been known to lay 2000 eggs in 4 different sacs?

Not to worry though - I'm sure you won't have that many, probably only one sac. So say about 500 spiders (give or take).

Again, this is not a big problem because when they hatch they will be extremely small - pretty insignificant. You'll hardly be able to see them. Although ... did you say you felt like you had things crawling all over you, because although you could hardly see them, I'm sure you would be able to feel them. I'm sure you are fine though. It's not like spiders are carnivores or ... oops, wait a sec, they actually are.

Hmmm, I was just thinking that if one sac is about 500 spiders, and lets say that 1/2 are female and 1/2 are male - so 250 happy spider couples. And then lets say each couple lays eggs. Ummm, that would be about 250 x 500 eggs or so. Whoa! that's like 125,000 little 8 legged, 8 eyed creepy crawlies.

Just a question, and don't be alarmed, but do you also feel like you are being watched?

Anyhoo - I hope these few tidbits of information help to alleve some of your trepidations.

Once again, Hope this helps and have a lovely day.

\ \-/ /
\-I-/
\--I--/
\----I----/
/I\
_/ \_

That's my quick spider pic to help you identify them.

Anonymous said...

Please ignore spider pic - it did not turn out for me

Thumbelina's Mom said...

Have I ever told you that you aren't really a help to me?

Anonymous said...

Yes, several times. Odd that. I just always figured it was some kind of reverse psychology or something. You know, like calling a really big guy "Tiny".