Friday, June 02, 2006

A 'Do-Over' Day

Ever have one of those? It's 9:40 am and I'm wishing I could go back to bed and do my day over. I awoke with a headache and hip-ache so that is not a good start; combine that with a child who woke up on the wrong side of the bed and it's just a recipe for grumpiness. Said child didn't do anything I can really put my finger on, other than everything he did irritated me. Like moving at a snail's pace on purpose, being mean to his brothers, giving me challenging looks every time I spoke to him, arguing - arguing is the worst. Child asked if they could have chips today and I said No. He asked how come and my reply? Because I'm grumpy and I feel like being mean...how nasty is that! But at least he didn't argue with me, which is why I said it; any other response and I'd still be arguing with him about it. And I try not to argue with him - I usually just put up my hand and say I'm not talking about this anymore. Husband said it's because child is almost a teenager and that's what they do. Husband said I was the same way with my mom. My response? She deserved it. Oh, I so am going to get it in a few years. Anyway, we get to school and the normal flow of things is to drop the children off...sometimes while the van is still moving...no not really, but they do like the parents to keep things rolling along...so the pre-teen child is sitting in the van looking at his watch while his brothers happily skip to go play with their friends. Whatever.

I just got a pre-recorded phone call that I won an all-inclusive cruise to the Carribean...and then I hung up. I got the same phone call last week and Husband has received 4 phone calls in the last month. Persistent, aren't they. I'm sure we can have our number removed from their list, but sometimes it just feels so good to hang up on someone, even if it is a computer, rather than listening to the whole message. Husband said he once got a call about winning a free vacation and he said I hate vacations. The person on the other end didn't know what to say. Our family is just one little ray of sunshine, aren't we?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have some other ideas on what to say to telemarketers.

If they start out with, "How are you today?" , you can tell them, "I'm so glad you asked, because no one these days seems to care, and I have all these problems; my arthritis is acting up, my eyelashes are sore, and my dog just died" when they try to get to the sell, just keep talking about your problems.


This works great if you are male: Telemarketer: "Hi, my name is Sally and I'm with XYZ company" You: Wait for a second and with a real husky voice ask, "What are you wearing?"

Cry out in surprise, "Sally, IS that you? how have you been?" Hopefully this will give Sally a few brief moments of terror as she tries to figure out where the heck she could know you from.

Say "No," over and over. Be sure to vary the sound of each one and keep a rhythmic tempo, even as they are trying to speak. This is most fun if you can do it until they hang up.

If MCI or AT&T calls trying to get you to sign up for the Family & Friends Plan, reply in as Sinister a voice as you can. "I don't have any friends. Would you be my friend?"

Insist that the caller is really your buddy Leon, playing a joke. "C'mon Leon, cut it out! Seriously Leon, how's your mom?"

Thumbelina's Mom said...

Thanks for the laugh - my eyelashes are sore - good one! I think you've been hanging around AB too long, though...I'm sure he's actually said some of this stuff...

Anonymous said...

I actually got a good telemarketer call the other night (if there is such a thing) Someone called and was asking how much tv I watch. Of course, I lied and said that I watched less than I did but it must have been enough because they asked me to be a tv critic! They are sending me a tape of a 1/2 hour comedy and they want me to critique it and they will call me the next day to get my opinion to see if they will release it. I have always wanted to be a tv critic and I do it anyway so I might as well get someone to ask my opinion. I just hope I am in a good mood that day because sometimes all comedies seem stupid to me.

Thumbelina's Mom said...

OOOoooo sounds like fun! With Husband's line of work, I usually tell them to call back in a few months...last time I said that I heard the girl on the other end trying not to laugh...another thing that works is when your kids are in the background screaming and crying like 3 feet away from the phone - I actually had a guy hang up on me! Bonus! Of course you could have AB screaming and crying in the background...

Anonymous said...

Interesting site. Useful information. Bookmarked.
»

Anonymous said...

I find some information here.