Tuesday, June 27, 2006

What to Blog...what to blog...

Since the boys are out of school my stress level has dropped dramatically and I'm having a difficult time finding things to crab about. Hard to believe, isn't it!

Last week Husband and I went to a dinner meeting; it was decided about 15 minutes before we left that I could actually go as well and I blew off a Spice Party to go. Actually since Husband was going with our without me and I wouldn't have been able to go to said party anyway, but I still feel bad about it. So even though I'm not big into dinner meetings with 300 other people, I'm big into free food and desserts!

And just so I'd have something to blog about, I wrote down things that were happening around me that I found very irritating - just for your reading pleasure! Here we go - Irritating Things at Dinner Meetings:

1. Microphones that are way too loud and make you jump every time somebody starts to talk. It was quite ironic, actually, because one of the speakers did a presentation on the decibel level in sow barns, and listening to everybody over this extremely loud sound system, I'm sure we suffered permament hearing loss.

2. People sitting at tables behind me who talk while the speaker is talking. This is just plain rude, especially if you're talking to someone a table away from you - if you have something to say, take it out to the hallway. It's hard to listen to two conversations at once.

3. Cell phones that ring while the speaker is talking. Put your cell phones on vibrate people! We're all thrilled that you've chosen Beethoven's 5th Symphony as your ring tone, but really.

4. People sitting at the next table who actually answer their cellphones when they ring. Is your call that important that you can't call the other person back later? Must you carry on a whole conversation while other people are giving a power point presentation?

5. People who dress inappropriately for dinner meetings. Okay, so this dinner meeting was for farmers but it was actually called the Gold Event...and for the guy who was dressed the worst, I have a question for you - Do you really think that when you wore a t-shirt with writing on it, shorts (the same pair my 11-year-old has), sandals (at least there were no socks involved but we still don't enjoy looking at your feet) and a flappy hat attached to a string tied around your neck you wouldn't stand out? Guess what - you did stand out! I'm not saying to dress in black tie, but long pants and a button-up shirt sans the hat would have been nice.

6. People that don't take their crying baby out when it starts to cry. I understand there are times when a baby needs to come to one of these events, but when it starts to cry, don't just let it cry - you're not at home - people around you and across the room find it distracting and irritating. Please take the baby elsewhere and meet its needs.


There you have it. We left before all the speakers had a chance to talk or I'm sure I would have had a longer list to give you. So the next time you go to something called the Gold Event, or someplace you know I'll be, please try not to irritate me. I thank you kindly.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I totally agree with you! However, I believe these things are applicable in many areas not just sit down dinners. When I was in my classes in Vegas I found a lot of those same things irritating, Old men in tight shorts (they were wearing socks though!) cell phones ringing, talking while the speaker was talking, (the crying baby was not applicable though). Sorry you had to miss your Spice Girls Party though. That sounds like fun!

Anonymous said...

Ummm, sounds like you had a great time. I can't believe you skipped a Spice Girls Party to go to a farmers dinner meeting!!! Now I got that phrase "Tell me what you want, what you really really want" in my head. My colleagues here at work are not going to like it when I repeat this phrase over and over for the rest of this afternoon.

Thumbelina's Mom said...

I think you're a bit confused over Spice Part and Spice Girl Party...I have no interest in going to a Spice Girl Party - don't even want to think about what all that would entail, but a Spice Party is sampling different spices that are supposed to be healthier for you - gluten free - that sort of thing.

And JB - I can't think of anything worse than seeing old men in tight shorts...shudder...

Anonymous said...

Oh well in that case I totally understand why you would choose to go to a farmers dinner meeting as opposed to a spice party.