Friday, November 24, 2006

Christmas Cookies

Interesting conversations happening on my last post...so let's just change the subject, shall we? But first some advice - AB, go buy JB a breakfast sandwich.

So tomorrow I will be spending the day making cookies. Not my favourite thing to do, especially with the boys around. Because they like to 'help'. And by 'help' I mean dump everything into the mixing bowl, and sneeze into the bowl while stirring. Doesn't happen every time, but it has happened before. Luckily it was just a pie for our own little family, and I didn't throw it out because I figured we're already breathing in the snot-covered germs, so why be wasteful. Anyway. Why do I have to make cookies? For a cookie exchange, silly! Muther is having one on Monday. It's kind of like a tea party with cookies. The plan is to make 8 dozen cookies because there will be 8 ladies there, and everybody exchanges one dozen cookies with each other so you end up with 8 dozen different cookies. And then you get to take them to your in-laws for Christmas. So the cookies I will be making are called Lemon Delights. I made them last year for the same thing and they were a big hit. Especially with Husband who got to eat all the broken ones. We both gained 5 pounds before Christmas even arrived. Nothing like eating lemon-flavoured butter and sugar!

I'm having a hard time thinking of Christmas gift ideas for some family members, so please, please share you Christmas gift ideas with me. What do you want? What do you hate? What do you need? I'm having trouble with Muther's Husband...as well as a few others...I never know what to get him and I never know if he likes my gifts or not. One year for Father's Day I made him a pumpkin pie. He only ate one piece of it. And the rest got thrown away. And no, it hadn't been sneezed in. So gifts stress me out. Last year I got him a portable snow shovel to keep in the trunk in case you're ever stuck in the snow. Looked neat in the store. Kinda sounds stupid now. Anyway, ideas are greatly appreciated. So share, share, share. Pretty please?

5 comments:

Tracey and Mike said...

How about a goat? Seriously. Through Foster Parent's Plan & other such organizations you can sponsor livestock etc in someone's name as a gift. Check it out here:
https://secure1.fosterparentsplan.ca/eDonations/GiftsofHope.aspx
At least Muther's husband can't throw it out & someone else would really benefit. : )

Anonymous said...

Don't even think about giving me a card that says a donation has been made in your name to sponsor a pig or a chicken. Of course, I suppose I could give you a card saying that a donation has been made in your name to help out my cat. Hmmm - looks like everyone at my work will be getting Christmas presents this year Bwwaaa haaaa haaaa!

But seriously, if you are thinking about the goat thing, I think it would be best to just give the recipient the donation money. That way, they can personally ensure that the goat "gets it".

Thumbelina's Mom said...

Your cat has big-time issues. Maybe we should all pool our money together and send it to a cat-shrink.

Didn't George from Seinfeld pull that stunt one time? Made false donations in leu of presents for everyone at his office?

Middle-Aged Moi said...

I know what you mean about gifts stressing you out. My husband's father is the HARDEST person in the world to buy for. If your person is a "gadgety" type, maybe an LED flashlight. My husband thought they are cool. Oh, and my sister got my hubby one of those "weather stations" last year and he LOVES it. But again,a gadget. I don't know, it's really hard. Loved the story about sneezing in the batter. Happens a lot. Don't eat cookies at my house.

Roses said...

My parents insist on receiving nothing every year, because they have everything they want... which makes it really hard to get them anything. So, one year, I took a picture of their house and made return address labels for them on my 'puter.
If you have Microsoft Publisher, it'll practically walk you through it.

Mom liked it so much, she let me know when she ran out and I made more. :)