Tuesday, November 14, 2006

Just Stuff

So we haven't talked very much about Office/Employee Drama as of late. Let's re-cap, shall we?

1. First there was Rick, whose Father was dying. So he was unable to show up to work and is not on our payroll.
2. Then there was That Guy. Who was super-excited about coming to work except he didn't show up for his first day. And his wife was supposed to call us to tell us that his Mother had passed away during the night but she didn't. And we haven't heard from him since.
3. Then there was The New Guy. Whose wife wouldn't let him come to work.
4. And there's some girl that Husband has been in contact with but her mother is in the hospital and not doing very well. So she's coming out tomorrow for an interview.
5. Then there's the Bad Seed. I haven't told you about him yet - but he was fired on Friday. He had been in our employ for about 2 months - exactly 2 months too long. He was really angry that he got fired (he was stealing towels - we think it was him - and not following protocol - actually jeopardizing our whole operation by not following the rules - and getting everybody in a tizzy) so he threw E!'s shoes in the dumpster when he left. And yes, I giggled over that when I heard it.
*Edited to add #6 - how could I forget!
6. A guy started yesterday - Jeric. He didn't show up for work today. So I guess he quit. Or maybe he's fired. Who knows. I don't understand why people can't just call and say, Hey, I had an interesting first day, but I don't think it's for me. Instead, they just don't show up and they let everybody down because people are counting on them. It's frustrating.

So yesterday I got a phone call from the Employment Office in town. We haven't advertised at the Employment Office so I was a little surprised when their number showed up on the phone display. It was a guy, let's call him Roy, who wondering if we had any job openings. Well, as a matter of fact we do, especially since the Bad Seed is gone. Turns out Roy, and his friend Mason, who is also looking for employment, are friends of the Bad Seed and they were told last week, by the Bad Seed, that there might be jobs available. Desperate times call for desparate measures, right? So Roy is coming this afternoon for an interview and Mason is coming tomorrow. The first thing out of Mason's mouth was, Did you call Roy? So my hopes aren't set very high that these two will work out.

Drama, drama, drama.

I may have done a not very wise thing yesterday. The boys were frustrating me, so I said, Oh for the love of all things chocolate, just do your homework! The boys thought that was hilarious and it definitely lightened the mood, and now Shaggy is going around saying it. Can't you just see him saying it to his teacher today? Oh for the love of all things chocolate, I can't find my book! Yeah, I'm a bit worried too.

Yesterday was our Municipal elections. Our current mayor is retiring, so there were 4 candidates for mayor. It was a very surprising election. Didn't turn out at all how I thought it would. But even more surprising was that only 39% of eligible voters actually voted. And Even more surprising than that is that percentage is up. Four years ago, only 35% of eligible voters voted. Very sad, isn't it. And there had been advanced polls out for the last 2 weeks, so I really don't think people had too much of an excuse not to vote. And in my mind, that should mean that only 39% of the electorate should be allowed to complain. If you don't bother to vote, don't bother to complain. But life isn't always that simple, is it.

3 comments:

Middle-Aged Moi said...

AAARGGGG! I hate it when people don't vote! For the love of all things chocolate, why can't they do it? :-)
And the drama at work....for the love of all things chocolate, why can't they just call? Sorry. Had to do it.

Thumbelina's Mom said...

Yeah, yeah, yeah...
;-)

Roses said...

About the employee situation:
We know a restaurant owner who had trouble keeping employees. She actually had to give out bonuses for anyone who showed up for work ten days in a row.
"You have perfect attendance! Good job! Here's some extra cash!"
And there was the day she needed waitresses and was determined to hire both girls scheduled to come in for interviews. She had already decided! They were hired as soon as they walked in the door!
You got it. Neither one showed.

*Sigh*