Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Panic

Today I am full of panic. I feel ill-prepared for travelling half-way around the world to receive one small infant. Even though we won't be travelling yet for a few more months. Still, I have panic. I've been looking at packing lists. I think we'll need to take the maximum number of suitcases allowed just so we can evenly distribute everything and not be over the weight limits. I feel like the little sparrow that was trapped in my van earlier today. Wanting to take flight but not knowing where to go.

Yes, there was/is a bird in my van. Tigger forgot his backpack this morning, so I took it in to the school for him. And then I stopped for a few groceries. When I got home, I had the trunk open, because of unloading the groceries and all, and I left it open for awhile, hoping Husand would come home in the meantime and see the case of orange juice and bring it in to the house for me. Because I'm lazy like that. But he didn't come, and I got tired of looking at my van with the trunk open so I finally went out and closed it. And left the orange juice in the van because I was too lazy to carry it into the house.

So I had to take the van to the mechanics for it's quarterly tune-up and there's a bird in the front seat, desparately trying to break through the glass of the passengers window, but just banging its poor little body in desparation. So I left the driver's side open and went to the passengers side and opened it. But no bird. So I closed that door and opened the back door and the trunk, but still no bird. So I closed the doors and got in. Luckily I have a package of wipes in the van and I was able to wipe off all of the doo-doo. Poor bird must have been in the van for awhile.

I was really hoping the bird had escaped when I wasn't looking, so off I drove to the mechanics. All the while envisioning this tiny sparrow dive-bombing me and forcing me off the road or into on-coming traffic, thus resulting in an accident with hideous injuries and dismemberment of various body-parts. And if that happens, you just know we'll have to put the adoption on hold. But I experienced no attacks by any birds. Although once I got to the mechanics, I did hear some shuffling somewhere in the area of the backseat/trunk, so I opened the back windows in hope that the bird will escape. Husband thinks the bird will end up giving the mechanics a heart-attack.

I just hope it's gone by the time I have to go get the van.

So ya, I'm feeling panicky today. I need to be released out into the wild to do some retail therapy. Much retail therapy.

4 comments:

t~ said...

Have you read, "The China Adoption Handbook?" It really gives alot of tips on what to pack and what to not bother with. Pack very light is the only repeated phrase.

I can't believe you had a bird fly in your car and hang out in there. That would have scared the begesies out of me.

Anonymous said...

LOVE retail therapy, fully recommend it to anyone. Oh man, poor birdy wirdy, stuck in your van, i sure hope he/she gets out ok and back to normal life in the open air :) Jodie

J said...

My only piece of advice would be to draw up a list and then cross about half the items off!!lol The one thing we regret is bringing so many darn suitcases, it was such a hassle to lug them here, there and everywhere! We flew to China and then took a bus to Guangzhou. We all had to load our suitcases onto a bus, then take them all off when we crossed into China and then put them all back on another bus because the Hong Kong bus couldn't take us into China... then of course we had to unload, drag everything at the hotel, etc. etc. I'd bring most of the baby stuff I brought along again, but we sure would bring a heck of a lot less stuff for us!! My advice, try for one suitcase only for you and DH and one for baby plus one large diaper bag. I still don't know how anyone does this trip carry-on only, but I sure know if I knew then what I know now, I'd sure carry a lot less!!lol Oh, and take a deep breath, it will all work out beautifully!! :_)

Julie

Anonymous said...

I really hope that the little birdie gets out of your van!

I really hope your panic goes away too. Believe me, I will be one big ball of nerves when our time comes....scares me just thinking of it.....:-) (but in a good way!)

Janet T.