Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Feast or Famine

There's either nothing to talk about or everything to talk about. Today, there's everything.

Saturday was AJ's birthday - he's 12 now. I feel so old. I remember being a young teen and thinking my parent's lives were over and that they should start picking out retirement homes because there was nothing left for them to live for. I wonder if that's what AJ thinks about me and Husband. Anyway, here he is in all his birthday glory:


We took the boys and a few of AJ's friends here for a birthday 'get-together'...we don't do parties every year and this was supposed to be an off-year for a party, but I've been feeling so guilty about not taking the boys anywhere to do anything fun that we splurged on the get-together. The boys have become Cartoon Connoisseurs this summer. Uncle AB and Aunt JB joined us. Here's the group enjoying pizza:


All glowy:


Uncle AB & Aunt JB's present to AJ was taking him here. They had a great time as you can see from these photos.

Uncle AB was eating AJ's dust:


So that was Friday and Saturday. Sunday night I got a phone call from my brother telling me that Auntie Rue had had a heart attack - mild - but would be in the hospital for a few days. AJ, CJ and I visited with her yesterday and she was being sent to the city for an echocardiogram because her pain wasn't going away. So. Just waiting to hear if there's anymore news on that front.

I took AJ and CJ with me to Art in the Park yesterday and CJ and I had a great time. AJ was AJ. You know, walking 20 feet in front or on the other side of the creek. The park in town has a winding little creek with bridges - a great place to play if you're a kid because sometimes the bridges just lead to an island and you have to find your way back. Except it's not appropriate when the park is packed with people and venders trying to make a buck. I bought a really cute thingy. I'll have to post a picture later on, but trust me, it's a really cute thingy. I bought CJ some candy floss and we brought some home for TJ. Yes, you heard me right - candy floss. Me, the one person who doesn't believe in candy. And you know why I don't believe in candy? Because of all the temper tantrums that happen the next morning. Like this morning. I was downstairs folding laundry and I could hear much screaming. Much screaming. So I just zoned out and went to my happy place. As happy a place as I could find pre-coffee. Speaking of pre-coffee...I'm seriously considering packing a 2-cup coffee maker for our trip to China. I've read on other people's blogs that there are Star*bucks now in China so people are silly to even consider it, but I.Need.Coffee. I need a cup of coffee to make me coherent enough to get down to breakfast. I kid you not. I.Need.Coffee. It isn't a want - it's a need.

The boys are at VBS (Vacation Bible School) this morning so I need to get a bit of work done before I pick them up in an hour. I'm experiencing a bit of guilt concerning VBS because it's the first time I haven't helped out in quite a few years, but I'll save that for another post.

See, I told you I had a lot to talk about today.

No comments: