Thursday, August 31, 2006

The Great Mouse-capade

I think I've mentioned before that the mice have moved indoors; it happened during the heat-wave we had back in July. I saw evidence in my pots and pans drawer, cleaned it all out, washed all the pots and pans, and the next morning there was more evidence. So I gave up cooking. Almost. Mostly. Last night Buddy was intently sitting by the fireplace with his nose at the grate where the blower is. Mice. We can hear the mice in the walls. Banging the walls doesn't help. A pest control company is going to set outdoor traps and look after that part of it all for us.

So the weather is starting to turn cooler. I've even seen people in town wearing sweaters and this morning Husband was wearing a jacket. Some of the leaves on the trees are starting to turn colour as well. Don't worry, I'm getting to the mouse part of it all. On Tuesday our furnace started making sounds and shaking. Really, it was shaking. Husband thought it was a bearing (our air is hooked into the furnace) and the furnace guy came out this morning to take a look. We had turned the unit off on Tuesday night and it's been off since. Haven't really needed it because if you were paying attention to what you just read, you will have noticed that I mentioned the weather is turning cooler. So the furnace guy came out this morning to take a looksy. And of course when we turned the unit on, all was quiet. Figures. So the furnace guys get to work, taking things apart. A few minutes later the jr. furnace guy carries up a dead mouse that they had found in the furnace. They figure the mousie got stuck in the blower part, went for quite a ride, was able to crawl out of it when we turned the unit off, and died. Shudder. Shudder. Shudder. Shudder. No, I can't stop shuddering. That's part of the reason why I haven't set any traps in the house - I don't want to see dead mice. Shudder. Shudder. Shudder. Shudder.

Oh, and, have a nice day.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have a mouse story. I actually have a few stories but I won't tell them all at once. When were at the cottage a couple of weeks ago, I was awakened at 3:00 in the morning by something (in my head it was a squirrel) running across the ceiling (in my head it was the roof) batting something around (in my head it was a peanut) So the next morning I was talking about how the squirrel kept me up all night playing and then as we were talking we looked up to above the bedroom and a mouse was staring at us and listening to my story! He was actually a cute mouse with the big Fivel Mousekewitz eyes. So AB’s uncle got out the sticky tape and a trap filled with peanut butter. I actually felt really terrible ratting the mouse out but I couldn’t tell them to let the mouse stay in the house either. Anyway, the next night I did not sleep well mainly because I kept having dreams that the mouse was going to fall on top of me. But at 3:00 that morning I heard the mouse playing again and I was a bit relieved. Partly because I knew there was not a dead mouse body right on top of where we were sleeping and partly because if I could hear him I could tell exactly where he was. Anyway, to this day I don’t know if the peanut butter was the death of him or if he made it out of the house safely. I have to admit I was rooting for him. I am all for mouse freedom, just not at close proximity to me.

Thumbelina's Mom said...

Bubonic Plague. Need I say more? Disease spreaders...the mouse we had was a white-footed mouse:

"These mice carry deer ticks, which spread Lyme disease. They also may be a reservoir of Four-Corners disease. Their fecal matter contains hantavirus, the organism that causes this disease.

They also hinder the growth of trees such as oaks and pines because they eat so many of the seeds."

I can tolerate Mickey Mouse but that's about it.

Anonymous said...

I think someone needs to go rent the movie An American Tail again.

Anonymous said...

hi everyone. I'm actually into shoes and I had been searching allowing for regarding that meticulous brand. The prices as regards the shoes are all over 320 bucks everwhere. But completely I set this area selling them for the benefit of half price. I in reality love those [url=http://www.shoesempire.com]prada sneakers[/url]. I will probably purchase these. what do you think?

Anonymous said...

Hello. And Bye.

Anonymous said...

good day fellas. I'm really into shoes and I had been searching for the sake of that exact make. The prices due to the fact that the shoes were around 220 bucks on every page. But for all I found this site selling them for half price. I really like these [url=http://www.shoesempire.com]gucci sneakers[/url]. I will probably buy them. what is your opinion?

Anonymous said...

good morning bros. I'm actually into shoes and I have been searching as far as something that exact model. The prices as regards the velcros are about 300 bucks on every page. But finally I set this site selling them for half price. I in reality love those [url=http://www.shoesempire.com]gucci sneakers[/url]. I will definetly buy those. what is your opinion?

Anonymous said...

good evening people. I'm honestly into shoes and I had been digging for the sake of that exact brand. The prices due to the fact that the sneakers are all over 210 dollars everwhere. But finally I base this area selling them someone is concerned half price. I exceptionally love these [url=http://www.shoesempire.com]gucci sneakers[/url]. I will probably buy those. what is your opinion?